You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo starts in 2-3 minutes

Hello. I use Affinity Photo from AppStore for macOS (latest macOS version, Big Sur and latest app version used).

And it starts really long time, about 2-3 minutes. It is really annoying.

Somewhere I found info that If I hold some modifier key and start it, I get the dialog to clear all settings.

I did it and it helped once, but few days later it starts to get slow start again.

I tried to remove every affinity config folder, and no changes.

Please fix it, it is super annoying and I hate to start Affinity Photo because of this.

Edited by Ighor

• Staff

Hi @Ighor,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can confirm this is a known issue, as reported below - 

You should find that only the first launch is affected after turning on your Mac, we hope to fix this asap.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

22 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Ighor,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can confirm this is a known issue, as reported below - 

You should find that only the first launch is affected after turning on your Mac, we hope to fix this asap.

I hope this helps!

Hi, thanks but "subsequent launches should be fine" does not work for me. I'm getting 2m+ start every time.

Edited by Ighor

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this! We haven't had this reported previously, so there may be an external factor on your machine also affecting this.

Do you have many fonts, or a font manager installed on your Mac?

Did you purchase the app from the Affinity Store, or the Mac App Store?

What are the specs of your Mac?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

I'm sorry to hear this! We haven't had this reported previously, so there may be an external factor on your machine also affecting this.

Do you have many fonts, or a font manager installed on your Mac?

Did you purchase the app from the Affinity Store, or the Mac App Store?

What are the specs of your Mac?

Many thanks in advance :)

As I said in my first message "I use Affinity Photo from AppStore"

I don't have additional fonts. And if the reason was in a fonts I would get always 2m+ delay, but after settings reset sometimes it starts with 3 seconds.

MacBook Pro 13" late 2017 i7

• Staff

My apologies, I had missed that in your initial message!

Thanks for confirming that for me - this sounds as though it may be a different issue from other reports, as it doesn't follow the same behaviour that I'm seeing here.

Could you please download and install the beta alongside your retail version on your Mac and let me know if this launches any faster/more consistently?

Please do let me know the behaviour you see here, many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm glad to hear this - if you're comfortable using a beta version then I suggest using this for the time being, hopefully we will be able to resolve this for the retail version shortly :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm glad to hear this - if you're comfortable using a beta version then I suggest using this for the time being, hopefully we will be able to resolve this for the retail version shortly :)

5 Months later, no changes. Any solution or ETA?

• Staff

@Ighor Please see the following post and the further posts from Patrick in this thread, as it explains the issue in further detail and as we are currently bound by Apples security checks, we're working directly with them to better this ASAP for our customers. 

My apologies for any inconveniences here during this time.

Please note -

Many thanks!