You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted colorize with "New From Clipboard"

9 minutes ago, JVimes said:

I think this is a bug.

I think it’s by design. As you can see from the highlight in the Layers panel, the image layer is selected: deselect it first if you don’t want the chosen colour to be applied to the image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When you have an image layer, and it is selected, changing the color will set its Fill. 

Deselecting the layer before setting the color will avoid your problem, just as you would have to do with a vector layer.

"New from clipboard" will give you an image layer, just as "File > Place" or drag/drop from another application would.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, JVimes said:

As a user, I expect "new from clipboard" to produce the same layer type as opening that image from disk. This a usability issue for me.

That may be what you expect, but that's not how it works. File > New from Clipboard, as a clipboard operation, is consistent with Edit > Paste (another clipboard operation), not with File > Open. And it is consistent with what you would get for drag/drop from Finder or File Explorer if you drop onto an opened document, and with what you get with File > Place.

One could argue (and some have) that it should be consistent with File > Open,  because it results in the creation of a document not the addition of a layer to an existing document as those other functions do. Perhaps someday Serif will consider changing it, or adding an option. If you look through the Feature Requests forum you'll probably find requests for that.

But for now (and for the foreseeable future) you need to be aware of how it works, and adjust your workflow.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

That may be what you expect, but that's not how it works.

Please don't be patronizing, I never said that's how it works. I stated my expectations for Affinity support. I thought they'd be here, since this is where the in-app Support link leads, but that's not the case.

I'll reach out to Affinity's actual support. Thanks everyone.

13 hours ago, JVimes said:

Please don't be patronizing, I never said that's how it works. I stated my expectations for Affinity support. I thought they'd be here, since this is where the in-app Support link leads, but that's not the case.

I'll reach out to Affinity's actual support. Thanks everyone.

Sorry. I'll try to do better.

And the Serif staff will be here, at some time, if they have anything further to add to the existing discussion.

Now that you know how it works, if you want it to work differently you may create a topic in the Feature Requests forum, or concur with an existing request if one already exists.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @JVimes,

As both Alfred and Walt have mentioned here, this is the currently expected behaviour in the Affinity apps. If you are finding usability issues with this then posting in the Feedback section for our devs to see and consider is the best option for you.

15 hours ago, JVimes said:

I'll reach out to Affinity's actual support

I'm certainly sorry to hear you feel this way - but I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve by doing this.
As Walt has confirmed, Affinity staff do respond on these forums - simply sometimes our kind and helpful users can be quicker to reply than ourselves.

Had any Affinity staff replied to this thread before other users, the same answer would have been provided to you - in my opinion Walt has done an excellent job explaining this clearly and concisely, going as far as to explain why the option is consistent with other options in Affinity - even though this appeared to be inconsistent to yourself.

I don't personally believe that any part of Walts message was indented as patronising - but I can only offer my apologies if you feel this way.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!