You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Pre-Flight Error - Non-proportional scale

I get the following error:

"Checks for images or embedded resources that are distorted by having different horizontal and vertical scales. This can be fixed by shift double-clicking on the side handles."

I have tried figuring out how to fix this, but just don't get it. The double-clicking doesn't work.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I note that the message says "shift double-click". I'm not sure why Shift would be significant, but did you try that, or did you just double-click? The double-clicking on a side handle of an image should restore it to its proper aspect ratio.

Is your image in a Picture Frame, or just placed on the page?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for replying. 

It is a diagram drawn in Affinity Designer, and yes, I used "shift" as stated. 

I kinda get what it's doing now. When I was double clicking on it, it restored the diagram to the proper ratio, which was the correct one on a previous diagram I used it on, but I had reduced the ratio on one side versus the other, but it's what I wanted, for this diagram. I ended up cropping the diagram, which was just cross hatching, and the error went away.

Thanks. What you said actual did help me see what was going on.

You're welcome. And thanks for the added info.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...

I am having a similar problem and I still do not understand what I am doing wrong. I placed an image inside a text box because I was having so much trouble "placing" them. Someone had suggested using a text box to avoid other problems. What do I do now to get rid of the preflight issue?

Thanks in advance

• Staff

Hi @'Chele,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Not sure what do you mean by "placed an image inside a text box". Typically you have to select the image on canvas or in the Layers panel (make sure that's the image that's selected and not a container of some sort (picture frames, shapes etc) then double-click either the vertical or horizontal side handle of the image, to get it back to its original ratio. Can you post a screenshot of your workspace with the image selected and the Layers panel visible so we can see what's going on?

• Staff

Hi @'Chele,
Thanks for the screenshot. The Image is being clipped by a shape (the white rectangle thumbnail) which seems to be what's causing interference here. I
f you click the small arrow on the left of the thumbnail in the Layers panel, drag the white rectangle thumbnail to above (outside) the image layer (to unclip it), double-click the side handles of the image layer on canvas (to restore its original ratio) and then drag the white rectangle layer back over the thumbnail of the image in the Layers panel (you should see a small vertical blue line on the right of the image's thumbnail while you are hovering it in the right spot before releasing the mouse) it should fix the issue for you - i can record a small video if you find trouble doing it. Regarding the weird letter (red wavy line), do you mind attaching the .afpub file to be checked please? I'm not sure what that could be? Thanks. 

NOTE: I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private, just let me know.

In the layers panel you can see that the text frame of the first paragraph starts with 'iThe first section o…'. It looks like this initial 'i' (which probably's not supposed to be there at all) is formatted as an extreme subscript or some other strange formatting.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Thanks!  I will work on those..... BUT in the mean time I have encountered something else that is very irritating. I copied and pasted a single paragraph into this article. Now the cursor refuses to insert where I attempt to place it, the paragraph overflows rather than filling the space that should be available, and the font size has a mind of its own. At this point, today I feel like the victim of a cosmic conspiracy!

2021-02-22_15-01-49.png

All pre-flight errors fixed

PS The strange letter "I" on page one was due to that character having a baseline setting of -31pt

PFC_2021_Final_Vintage_Gallery2.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I am feeling completely clueless. I could not get the fix to work on the original example. I moved over to another and still am getting no resolution of the scaling problem. What am I missing?  This seems to happen with images I cropped AFTER loading into the Affinity Publisher. I assumed it would be no problem.

2021-02-23_9-57-17.png

1 minute ago, 'Chele said:

that will not rescale due to having been cropped

Simple cropping, done properly, would not cause a problem. I believe you are rescaling images, and doing so noon-proportionally.

Instead of whatever you've been doing, you might try using the Crop Tool. For the existing images that have the problem, start by double-clicking one of the middle side nodes to reset the scaling, them use the Crop Tool on them.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, 'Chele said:

The rescaling function does  not work when I click on these previously cropped images. I have cropped different amounts off the sides of images as needed. It is rare that the cropping can be uniform. Any other ideas?

It works for me, in your document.

With the image selected, you'll notice in the Context Toolbar an indication of the non-proportional scaling. Double-clicking the right-side middle node "uncrops" and then the Context Toolbar shows a single DPI value, rather than the two DPI values that were showing before.

For example, here's one on page 28 from your document:

image.png.c8d5627ca3ebf1a24d58ed717a7f9396.png

After double-clicking the middle node on the right, it becomes this:

image.png.3ab48b83e80b91d951a296367ed14425.png

Alternatively, click on the down arrow to expand that field in the Context Toolbar, then click Original Size:

image.png.d06bb86282f45b95c08449ef567c6043.png

That image will get much bigger, but you can then rescale it (terminology: rescale, not crop) making sure that that you do so from a corner node, proportionally. By default, dragging from the corner, for an (image) layer, will rescale proportionally. If you've changed your Preferences you may need to hold Shift to make it proportional.

Or, if you use File > Place to add the image to the document (rather than drag/drop or copy/paste), you can rescale it while you're putting it on the page by dragging the Place Tool. Again, make sure you do it proportionally (which by default will be done without holding Shift).

Once you've rescaled it as close as you can to the size you need, you could use the Crop Tool to trim off any edges, rather than adjusting the bounding box, to make sure that it all stays proportional.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, 'Chele said:

Why is it working for you to shift/double click on the side handles and I

Not Shift Double-Click. Just Double,-Click.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, 'Chele said:

Still does not work for me.

Can you record a video showing what happens?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @'Chele,
To what image(s) are you referring exactly? There's a few different cases in the document you attached.
1. In the first screenshot you posted above, the dog had a clipping mask - a rectangle - nested to it (the white rectangle thumbnail) as i explained above - which does interfere with scaling/restoring the ratio of the image - but was removed in the attached document. To fix it check the steps i listed in my reply above.

2. then there's the dog's image walt.farrel showed you above (on page 28), which uses another construct to present the image - here is the image that's clipped inside a rounded rectangle (a bit different of the first case i listed above). This one can be easily fixed by expanding the layer clicking on the arrow of the right of the thumbnail in the Layers panel, selected the image layer contained inside, then double-clicking the side handles of the image on canvas.

3. there's other cases in your document where the images are not independent/individual as they appear at first look but composed by three aligned parts (as if they were scanned independently by rows and then composed/aligned vertically together) where their content spans various vertical parts (see page 25 - the middle part was stretched a bit - whereas the top and bottom parts do not. Since these were placed directly in the document as Images, clicking the side handles of the middle part on canvas fixes the issue.