You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I set up a mostly text-only doc in Designer for layout; used an actual paid-for HTF font, and it looks great on screen. When printing, or exporting to PDF, I get postscript hash text instead of the font/text. Font was manually activated using Font Explorer, and I've had zero issues with the font or printing the font using Illustrator in the past. Also tested the font using TextEdit, no issues there, either. Any idea? This is as close to a deal breaker as it gets for me; seems unwieldy/antiquated to convert text to curves to print or export.

I'm not familiar with the term, "postscript hash text" - do you mean text that has been converted to curves?

We don't force text to curves for PDF or SVG; currently we do for EPS, and for PSD it gets rasterised. There is an option to convert to curves, in File > Export > More, so the first thing may be to check that didn't somehow get switched on. Is it just simple text, or does it have a complex fill, stroke, transparency or effects, or is it used for vector clipping?

Hi—

The font is Gotham HTF. I did end up using curves to get it to print via PDF, but that can't be the ultimate solution; i feel like I've missed a step; either that or I've found a brand-new bug. :)

I apologize for using'hash text'; there may be a technical term but I don't know it. Photo of print attached to this message.IMG_2406.JPG

As far as I can see, the font is being replaced by postscript gibberish. All of that text is set in Gotham HTF in the document itself. Renders fine on screen; won't output. 

Thanks for the help—

I set up a mostly text-only doc in Designer for layout; used an actual paid-for HTF font, and it looks great on screen. When printing, or exporting to PDF, I get postscript hash text instead of the font/text. Font was manually activated using Font Explorer, and I've had zero issues with the font or printing the font using Illustrator in the past. Also tested the font using TextEdit, no issues there, either. Any idea? This is as close to a deal breaker as it gets for me; seems unwieldy/antiquated to convert text to curves to print or export.

Hi patrickfoster,

Could you post the PDF & the AD files here for us to inspect? 

Thanks, 

Paul. 

Paul. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi—

Sorry to be so long replying. No, its not a PS printer, but the same font prints from other apps (TextEdit, Illustrator) although I suppose there may be some emulation working behind the scenes. 

Printing from curves works fine; I'm just trying to be sure how things work before I sent a job off to a press, say.

Thanks, I'll keep testing.