You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Affinity Photo User - Mac Book Problem ?

Hi !,

I wonder if you could help me please ?  Having just purchased AP i'm experiencing some problems with my MAC freezing or it is incredibly slow.  Can you offer any advice as to what the problem is and should AP be

working OK on it (SPEC below) ?

I often have iTunes, Safari and Mail open at the same time (minimised)

Any advice, tips or recommendations please - I am beginning to think my MAC is too old but can't really afford to upgrade right now. 

Thank you very much in advance.

Nick

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: 146.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.14f24

@Invictus - it looks like your machine is an older iMac (not a MacBook) - what OS are you currently running?  What version of AP?  AP takes advantage of your GPU to display and compute, and your video card may not be up to the task.  In the Preferences > Display section, you may want to disable GPU (Metal) computing and see if that helps.

Here are the minimum spec/system requirements:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/#system-requirements

Kirk

Hello Kirk,

Sorry my mistake, it is an iMac (not sure of year). I'm on MacOS Catalina Version V10.15.7 with Affinity Photo 1.8.6.

I will try your suggestion of disabling GPU (Metal. Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated. 

Nick

2 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Hello Kirk,

Sorry my mistake, it is an iMac (not sure of year). I'm on MacOS Catalina Version V10.15.7 with Affinity Photo 1.8.6.

I will try your suggestion of disabling GPU (Metal. Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated. 

Nick

Actually, my iMac might be that old it doesn't have an GPU (Metal) Option, I couldn't find it under preferences !

9 minutes ago, kirkt said:

That iMac is from 2013-2015, so it may be somewhat slow for AP's requirements and your specific use case for AP.

Good luck,

kirk

8 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Actually, my iMac might be that old it doesn't have an GPU (Metal) Option, I couldn't find it under preferences !

Many thanks for your help Kirk, I will look into getting a replacement.

Best wishes,

Nick

It's more a matter of the Affinity Photo v1.8.6 and MacOS Catalina here than the hardware itself, thus overall more a software related problem others do see too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

It's more a matter of the Affinity Photo v1.8.6 and MacOS Catalina here than the hardware itself, thus overall more a software related problem others do see too.

Interesting - I am not seeing an issue on my MacBook Pro running Catalina, but it is a newer 16" model, so whatever issues might occur may be overcome by the increased processing capability of the newer machine.

To the OP - have you tried running the latest beta (1.9.0.205/206)?

Kirk