Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide, Add, Expand Stroke, not working right.


Recommended Posts

2 issues, consistant in both ipad and mac, Lates version up to date..

1. When creating some shapes and click on devide , add, expand stroke. I doesnt work as expected, Photo reference attached below:

2. When corners are rounded and we move an object , the graphical structure of the shape behaves strage as of some nodes of the elements are not moving while others are..

 

 

65EB0FB6-A0B9-457E-8103-801940622A77.png

AA5965AE-1C51-4AF1-BF15-B2BEB2F5D9BE.jpeg

FFBE7E9E-1BE2-46F5-9B97-82D3D10D1D13.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi Aaron Martin,

Could you attach a copy of the file you're using these operations on (prior to the operations) please? Also could you attach the incorrect results you're seeing for each operation? I presume the last screenshot shows the results for 'Add' what other results are you getting Divide and Expand Stroke?

With regards to your second point, again could you attach some screen recordings that demonstrate the behavior your getting (and any files we might need to reproduce it). Without either of these I'm not entirely sure what the issue you're seeing is as its not an issue I'm aware of based on your description.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Aaron Martin said:

 

To get your work done... for the Add operation, you'll get the correct result by doing a non-destructive Add, producing a Compound object, which can then be optionally converted to a single Curves object by applying Convert To Curves. A Compound is created by holding down opt/alt key when invoking a Boolean geometry command such as Add.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aaron Martin said:

Hi. Thanks but i didnt quite understand your solution. Plus.p, how can it be done on ipad

Maybe someone can rewrite my solution more clearly.

I don't know about the iPad apps. This thread is currently in a bugs on macOS forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Maybe someone can rewrite my solution more clearly.

I don't know about the iPad apps. This thread is currently in a bugs on macOS forum.

I don’t think I could express your solution more clearly, but I presume all @Aaron Martin needs to know is that creation of Compound objects is achieved in the iPad apps by long-pressing on the relevant Geometry command on the Edit (‘...’) menu. The ‘Convert to Curves’ command is in the second column of the same menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.3.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, anon2 said:

To get your work done... for the Add operation, you'll get the correct result by doing a non-destructive Add, producing a Compound object, which can then be optionally converted to a single Curves object by applying Convert To Curves. A Compound is created by holding down opt/alt key when invoking a Boolean geometry command such as Add.

Thanks for sharing this tip - Affinity Designer is almost unusable to me past the initial drawing with the vector brush. Each time I use the brush to add strokes to ink a piece, converting them to fills, dividing them and adding them together as I want them produces freezes,  parts I am adding together go missing , tons of useless nodes...etc. I usualy have to copy and paste into illustrator to merge it there in one or two simple steps
The method of creating compound shapes and the converting to curves seems to be a little more useful and helpful - thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Thanks for sharing this tip - Affinity Designer is almost unusable to me past the initial drawing with the vector brush. Each time I use the brush to add strokes to ink a piece, converting them to fills, dividing them and adding them together as I want them produces freezes,  parts I am adding together go missing , tons of useless nodes...etc. I usualy have to copy and paste into illustrator to merge it there in one or two simple steps
The method of creating compound shapes and the converting to curves seems to be a little more useful and helpful - thanks!

You're welcome :)

It's quite bizarre and worrying that Boolean operations are still an Achilles heel of the Affinity apps after 25 years of Serif producing vector graphics software.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, anon2 said:

It's quite bizarre and worrying that Boolean operations are still an Achilles heel of the Affinity apps after 25 years of Serif producing vector graphics software.

I agree with you. Totally love Affinity and I am rooting for them to be my complete replacement to Adobe. That said, the slow rate of adding features and some of the responses to the issues I've found, especially with boolean operations has me wondering if this will really get truly fixed. I've posted several times about issues with boolean operations and one reply mentioned I was working with "dirty geometry". Hopefully that wasn't the end of that statement! I asked if they still planned to go in and refine the boolean operations because to just blame dirty geometry and not do any fixing to the tool set would severely handicap Designer's usefulness and professional outlook, but no one ever got back to me again. As a vector artist, not all art I do is mechanically thought out ahead of time so I can just use the pen tool only. Some designs, I use the vector brush tool with overlapping strokes to get a more natural look. In Illustrator, I've often done full designs with the blob brush. we're missing that artistic design approach capacity right now in Affinity

It's odd, as you mentioned, that the boolean operations have been a thorn in Serif's side, an Achilles heel to their product development. I hope my fears that they have shelved any serious further boolean improvements are proven wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 12/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, Aaron Martin said:

Thanks for the file, I can reproduce the issue here and will get it passed over to development.

As Alfred has mentioned if you long press the Add operation it will create a compound boolean that will give the results looking as you you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.