You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting multiple objects

My short question is basically what is the proper way to select multiple items?

I'm newer to Designer, so I'm probably missing some simple principles on how things works. My natural thinking would be to just go and Shift+Click things, but I understand that there can be nuances between programs, and so I am trying to figure this particular nuance. I have looked through the help, but I'm not finding the info...

Everything is completely ungrouped. I have triple-checked that, and it is verified in the layers panel as best as I an tell. Simply pressing within the white area defaults to selecting the outer black shape. I'm assuming this is because of the z-order. (...?)

Pressing ALT allows me to select any single white section, and Shift+ALT allows me to select 2 sections of white.

But, when I go to select a 3rd white space, at the other eye, it defaults to selecting the outer black area again. I can select any white area, individually, with an Alt+Click. I can select any two white areas, in any order, on either eye, in either location, with a Shift+Alt click. But I cannot select a 3rd.

I understand that I can simply go to the layers panel and select whatever I want to, which wouldn't be too big of a deal in this particular case. But, it won't always be that simple, so I'd like to get a better grasp on how this works. FWIW, I can open it in Inkscape, and it behaves as I would expect. I realize that that might be totally irrelevant, but I'm only adding it to minimize the possibility that there might be an issue with the file, itself.

My thoughts would be either :

1) Is there a preference setting that maybe would force it to select the exposed white area without an ALT press? (I think I am asking if I can turn off Z-Order selecting, *if* I'm even understanding it correctly in the first place.)

2) A sequence or additional key that I am missing to select more than the two objects. Or,

3) Something totally different about Affinity the selection process that I'm just not getting. Does Affinity simply not work/allow for selection in this manner?

Appreciate it 👍

Screenshot (21).png

Edited by TDNT
Just additional clarification.

• Staff

Hi @TDNT,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to see you're having trouble!

20 hours ago, TDNT said:
3) Something totally different about Affinity the selection process that I'm just not getting. Does Affinity simply not work/allow for selection in this manner?

I can confirm that you're not missing anything, and as far as your description goes I cannot see an issue with your workflow - this is actually a slight 'bug' in the current version.

I created a similar document to the one shown in your screenshot and I too had issues trying to select multiple objects on the canvas, using both Alt+Click & Alt+Shift+Click.

I then opened this document in the latest beta version where this behaviour has been changed and I was able to instantly select the 'whites' in the eyes, without needing to hold any modifier key.

The below screen recording was taken from the beta, in this recording the only modifier I used at any point was the Shift key, to select multiple.

As far as I can see, this is all fixed within the latest beta - you can either wait for this to be released to retail, or if you don't mind using a beta version you can download and install this alongside your current version of Affinity from the below link -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Really appreciate it, sir!

And honestly, I'm really glad to see it is something that they are addressing. I'm still kind of settling in and figuring out if this is going to be the program that I grab for first. And I totally get little differences, but if this were actually an intended, planned behavior, I would have been seriously scratching my head about it 🤔 . And thank you for the link.

• Staff

No problem at all, happy to help! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!