You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when opening "resource manager"

• Staff

Hi @foto_geka,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me:

• Are you running Windows or Mac? (and what version if know?)
  • What version of Affinity Publisher is installed?
  • Does this only happen in 1 document, or any document?
  • If this only happens in one document, how is this document composed in regards to resources?
    For example, are you using Linked or Embedded resources?
    Are these all images, embedded documents or a mix of both?
  • Can you recall the last steps you took with this file, when you were able to open the resource manager? 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan,

- I´m running Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2

- Publisher Version 1.8.5.703

- it happens only in 1 document (about 50 pages, with a lot of pictures and fonts)

- most pictures are linked, but two are embedded

- Since I was able to open it i just replaced a character with another font and changed some fonts in general because Publisher did not find two fonts

I imported the document from InDesign, maybe this is a problem?

Thanks!

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here as I was on holiday last week.

Many thanks for confirming that for me, it would certainly help to have a copy of your Publisher document, and the InDesign document that was imported into Affinity.

Can you please upload these to the below link for me, then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/YNOZpZ8neN1hgGjNtU9V

Many thanks once again!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Thanks for your reply. I uploaded the original .idml. That file contains some missing fonts; and the .afpub where I just replaced the missing fonts and character. The errors regarding the fonts are no longer there, but the publisher closes down when opening the ressource dialog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Many thanks for the documents provided and my apologies for the delayed response as we have been closed over the holidays!

I have opened your .afpub document here and I'm able to open the resource manager without the app crashing - which would indicate this could be an issue with the app locating your linked resources.

I can see that all of your resources are within a 'Links' folder on your D drive. Please close the document in Affinity Publisher, then navigate to this folder.
Change the name of this folder, which in turn will 'break' the links in your document.

Open your document and you should see a warning that your resources are missing. Select Resource Manager and see if the app crashes.

If not, please close the document once more, then re-open it. After reloading the doc, please this time select Yes in this dialog and locate one of the images from your document in the 'Links' folder.

image.png

As the rest of your resources are in this folder, Publisher should automatically detect this and relink the rest of the resources for you.

Once completed, save the document as a new .afpub file and then try opening the Resource Manager again.

Does this now work as expected? :)

Thank you for your tipp, it worked!

But now I have another problem with the export. It brings an error message when exporting. Where can I see what´s the error and why did it occur? In some cases Publisher hangs up while exporting (no matter with which option).............

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this!

Could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

What format are you trying to export to?

Does exporting to any format fail, or only certain ones?