You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OpenType CFF (for Creative Suite) or OpenType TTF (MS Office) for Affinity

I'm not exactly sure what @MxHeppa is asking for in that last comment, but I think it would be an excellent idea if Affinity somewhere listed in comprehensive detail exactly which features of OpenType were supported.  This subject has come up before, for example in discussion of support (or lack of support) for various Indic languages.

And by "comprehensive detail", I do not mean a marketing list of one- and two-word bullet points, but rather a thorough discussion of all the standard features, with limitations and optional extensions clearly identified.  If Affinity is using, in full or in part, a third-party text rendering engine, that engine should also be identified (assuming that contractual terms permit it).

Further, as we reasonably expect text support to grow over time, this detail document should clearly identify which version of the Affinity suite it refers to.

6 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

I'm not exactly sure what @MxHeppa is asking for in that last comment, but I think it would be an excellent idea if Affinity somewhere listed in comprehensive detail exactly which features of OpenType were supported.  This subject has come up before, for example in discussion of support (or lack of support) for various Indic languages.

And by "comprehensive detail", I do not mean a marketing list of one- and two-word bullet points, but rather a thorough discussion of all the standard features, with limitations and optional extensions clearly identified.  If Affinity is using, in full or in part, a third-party text rendering engine, that engine should also be identified (assuming that contractual terms permit it).

Further, as we reasonably expect text support to grow over time, this detail document should clearly identify which version of the Affinity suite it refers to.

I want such lsit also i meaned this. and i agree we can expect lot there is so much added and fixed.

13 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

Sorry. The attached pdf amounts to bullet points...

I also likely missed some OT features and/or do not know how to turn them on.

The way the file works is that there are two-letter codes. If an OT Feature is supported either automatically, that two-letter code changes to the four-letter OpenType Feature Code. As this happens via ligature substitution there is/likely are limitations to that approach. As such I do not consider this pdf as all-inclusive of the OT Feature set possible in APub/Affinity Applications.

Mike

OT Feature Test.pdf

5 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Thanks, @MikeW, I adjusted the file so that it can be more easily used in Affinity Publisher. The font by Adam Twardoch (available e.g. at http://twardoch.github.io/test-fonts/nadyezhdaslone/) is required to be installed to get this working. I tried to enable all features I could from wihin Publisher but might have failed to activate some.

OpentypeFeaturesTab.afpub

I could just upload the file I used...

22 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, but good learning to try to activate the features sets oneself. As can be seen, I did not do too well so an upload would be useful ;-) 

Learning is good...I'm preparing dinner at the moment, so it'll be a bit later.

12 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, but good learning to try to activate the features sets oneself. As can be seen, I did not do too well so an upload would be useful ;-) 

Here 'tis.

I may have modified the font version I am using. If something isn't correct, I'll upload the modified font.

OT Feature Test-2.zip

Edited by MikeW
Added font to new archive

13 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Thanks, this font works well and exposes many of the feature sets i could not activate with the earlier version of the font-- are the moifications yours or is this an update by Mr. Twardoch?

I modified it.

As you know, certain ot features are not exposed in an interface. Those features should activate automatically as Serif adds them. Others will likely require hunt and peck through the interface as they are added, and yet others will need control characters and or an interface option turned on...but even then the ligatures in the font may not activate.