You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To convert the PDF to paths in Illustrator:

•     Open the PDF with Illustrator.
  •     Select the desired text area or the entire document with the selection tool. ...
  •     Select Font / Convert to Paths in the menu.
  •     All fonts have been converted to curves, the text can no longer be edited afterwards.

Does Affinity Designer have such functions or are such functions planned?

Or you can do this on PDF export under "More" >> "Embed fonts" >> "Text as Curves". Advantage is, that the document is still editable, but not inside the PDF.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

21 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Or you can do this on PDF export under "More" >> "Embed fonts" >> "Text as Curves". Advantage is, that the document is still editable, but not inside the PDF.

I have PDFs that I want to open and edit in Publisher. The problem is that I do not have the fonts used in the PDF. Other replacement fonts are not an option.

Screenshot 2020-12-08 121726.png

21 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I have PDFs that I want to open and edit in Publisher. The problem is that I do not have the fonts used in the PDF. Other replacement fonts are not an option.

So you are running into problems ... everywhere ... when you want to edit the PDF without having the font. As of 1.9x onwards you will have the option to place a PDF as Passthrough. So the PDF will be shown as is. If you are going to edit the PDF you need to have the fonts installed. There are tools with which you can extract the fonts to make them installable, but I doubt this would be legal, apart from the fact that the font could be incomplete when the creator embedded only a subset of the font.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

22 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

So you are running into problems ... everywhere ... when you want to edit the PDF without having the font. As of 1.9x onwards you will have the option to place a PDF as Passthrough. So the PDF will be shown as is. If you are going to edit the PDF you need to have the fonts installed. There are tools with which you can extract the fonts to make them installable, but I doubt this would be legal, apart from the fact that the font could be incomplete when the creator embedded only a subset of the font.

All professional applications like Illustrator and Corel Draw offer the possibility to import the fonts as curves when importing PDF files. This function in Publisher is urgently needed.

39 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

import the fonts as curves when importing PDF files

This is correct, but maybe our definition of editing is different? ;) So you are not going to make changes to a text? In this case the function is needed.

------

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

This is correct, but maybe our definition of editing is different? ;) So you are not going to make changes to a text? In this case the function is needed.

Of course I will not change the text. My only concern is that I can open the PDF in the Publisher and that all fonts are displayed correctly. This can only be achieved by converting to curves.