You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting tool straight lines?

I made some tests and inpainting works weird when using the Shift key to get a straight line. It always draw a line from the last location inPainting brush had stop in its previous use to the new "point of origin", and then it works ok.  

Using the mouse or my Wacom tablet makes no difference.

Actually it has the same behaviour in the release version. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

It looks like Shift is held down. Check the On-Screen keyboard and see if it's actually pressed or not :) 

Yes, I keep shift pressed to get a straight line. Without Shift it works fine. The onscreen keyboard is disabled.
When I press Shift the brush stroke always draw a line from the last location is was stopped on the preceding use to the new start position and then draws the line correctly.
After years of use, I didn't even know that the shift key could be used with the inpainting tool, so that is not a real problem for me. But I'm sure it shouldn't work that way.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Pressing Shift key after I started moving the Inpainting Brush works, but only vertical and horizontal. For any other angle line it's impossible to do like the Paint Brush, click the starting location and Shift Click at the ending destination to get a straight line at any angle. That would be nice though if it worked the same way. But, I really can do without. Thanks.

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi Alain,
Yes, the Shift modifier only constrains the movement of the Inpainting Brush Tool to the horizontal and vertical axis. There's no way to draw arbitrary straight lines as we can with the Paint Brush Tool. I mentioned it as a reference because in his regard (the "issue" the OP described) it acts/works like the Inpaint Brush Tool when you press shift before painting on canvas.

I agree with you, the ability to draw a straight brush stroke (any direction) with the Inpainting Brush Tool as well would be useful in quite a few circumstances. I will pass your feedback to the dev team to see if we can make it behave/support the same features as the Paint Brush Tool.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, AlainP said:

For any other angle line it's impossible to do like the Paint Brush, click the starting location and Shift Click at the ending destination to get a straight line at any angle.

Works fine for me. I can inPaint at any angle

On 12/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, AlainP said:

Pressing Shift key after I started moving the Inpainting Brush works, but only vertical and horizontal. 

Don't do that

Click and release where you want inPainting to start
Press and hold shift key
Click and release where you want inpainting to end (any angle)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

47 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Click and release where you want inPainting to start
Press and hold shift key
Click and release where you want inpainting to end (any angle)

I did a few tests and yes your technique works "most" of the time, but it looks like a workaround to something that shouldn't work like that. 

After the first click, Inpainting does his job right away after releasing the mouse button. Then Shift-Click on the second point draws an "Inpainting line", but the first point we clicked receives twice the "Inpainting treatment". On some images this is not a problem but for most photographs it does not work fine. 

But as I mentionned earlier, I can do without this straight line capability. Thanks for helping.

-- Macbook Air 15"

10 minutes ago, AlainP said:

but the first point we clicked receives twice the "Inpainting treatment". On some images this is not a problem but for most photographs it does not work fine. 

Turn opacity down to zero before first click then back to 100%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Well.... I won't have enough fingers in my left hand pretty soon....set Opacity to 0 left-click then turn opacity back to 100%, now draw holding shift or Ctrl-Drag, release the left button.... and the magic happens !

Thanks for trying to find solutions, but I'll keep using this tool as I always did.

-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.