You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

paint-order of strokes and fills not handled correctly on linked/embedded SVG files

Hi all,

this bug is present on both, release and beta build (1.9.0.863) of publisher, so I'm not sure if this is the correct sub forum.

This simple SVG example file (see attachment) contains two rectangles, each with a stroke width of 10mm. On the red rectangle the paint-order of the stroke has been changed, so the stroke lies behind the fill:

image.png.24fb55b2a63090d891f2413df848534c.png

Remark: this is a plain SVG files with no Inkscape specific extensions. It is also rendered correctly by e.g. Firefox.

When I embed this SVG file into a publisher document, the paint order is ignored (and so are the colours, but this is not the point here) (wrong colours due to inadvertently CMYK setting)

image.png.1e40b59ea0290277af72517cd2354fbd.png

Testetd with: 1.9.0.863

This bug is not new to 1.9, it is also present in version 1.8 (version 1.8 showed at least correct colours, but maybe I have not set up my beta environment properly?)

Greetings

max1josef

stroke-behind-test.svg

Edited by max1josef
Hint on color setting

4 hours ago, max1josef said:

this bug is present on both, release and beta build (1.9.0.863) of publisher, so I'm not sure if this is the correct sub forum.

Yes, you have posted in the correct part of the forums.

Edit: And for the colors, your GIMP screen looks like you might have an RGB document, and perhaps you've setup your Publisher beta document in CMYK?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Good; that's part of it explained, at least :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @max1josef Thanks for letting us know about this. I have managed to recreate this using your example file.

The SVG is using paint-order attribute that specifies the order that the fill, stroke and markers of a given shape or text are painted. You can read about it here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/paint-order It's interesting to see that Firefox did render it correctly and it's listed as one of the compatible browsers.

We are clearly not honoring the paint-order attribute on import so I will get that logged and passed on to the development team. Thanks 👍