You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APhoto] Crop tool additional history step (old topic/6374)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6374-crop-tool-additional-history-step: link no longer working, but topic not solved:

When I crop a picture and then want to change the cropped area I click cmd+z.

What I'd expect to happen:
See the picture in the size like before the crop, but still show me the crop lines, so I can just drag the rectangle around or adjust its size.

What happens:
I get to see the picture like before the crop, but lose the lines, the ratio, the setting "overlay none".

Background: I use my photos for postcards, the ratio is 148:105. I only see if a crop looks "right" after I cropped - I then often want to adjust it just a little bit - but have to start over again.

• Staff

Hi manuschwendener.ch,

The Undo command and the History tab allow you to Undo actions and not steps. So hitting Undo after you have Croppedwould Undo the action of Cropping instead of Undoing the finalisation of the Crop. You can however add Crop Presets for your custom ratio so that you don't have to start over again. To do this you need to set your Crop how you would normally have it then under Mode at the top lefthand side of the App you would choose Add Preset. I hope this helps :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

I believe @manuschwendener.ch is requesting this feature, that is, the ability to undo crop steps rather than the whole crop action. This comes from a previous feature request thread that was archived from the pre-release Betas of Affinity Photo, but wasn't implemented. 

The request is to undo the crop to the latest crop's grid position/size (for further adjustements), rather than to the begining of the whole crop process. Unless i'm mising something here. Maybe we should move this to the Feature Requests thread...

• Staff

Yes, i've checked that thread. It was A_B_C  who started it. I'm suggesting to move it so it gets more visibility on the "main" Feature Requests section.The old one was posted in the pre-relase Beta section and was later archived which should not happen there. In any case the dev team has access to all archived posts (bugs and features requests).

I'm editing the title a little to make it more clear (hope you don't mind) and moving it to the Feature Requests section.

The request is to undo the crop to the latest crop's grid position/size (for further adjustements), rather than to the begining of the whole crop process.

Exactly, that would be great …  :)

I know that the Crop Tool does have a dedicated history of its own now, but that does not work too well … I could upload a video, but I reached the upload limit, and some of the older topics where I had put videos in the past, are not available for deleting attachments anymore …  :unsure:

• Staff

No, you are not doing anything wrong. That's how its currently working.

It's still buggy because the undo transforms are being calculated taking in account the original document dimensions, but the displayed image is the finished crop (not he original document we started with). So it should be displaying the original uncropped image as soon as we go one step backwards in Crop History.

Issue logged to be fixed.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Oooh, I see a promising development in Beta!

1. I crop
2. I click the crop icon again - this lets me move the crop area around the original photo, but keeps the lines of my first crop discreetly visible
3. When I press enter the second crop gets applied and the discreet lines of the first crop disappear
4. Cmd&z goes back crop by crop = I jump from 3. back to 1.

For this to be perfect, cmd&z would behave like this:
– I'm at step 3 = I have done my second crop
– cmd&z only undoes my last action , which was pressing enter.
   Result:
   - my last crop is undone
   - I see the thin lines of my first crop again
   - I see the original photo to move around in
   - I see the highlighted crop area of my second crop, which I can drag around again to get a better version of the crop
   = cmd&z brings me back from 3. to 2., not from 3. to 1.

This would also solve my original wish:
– After I made the first crop, cmd&z should not show me the original, untouched photo again: it should only undo the last step, which was the cropping. I'd like to see the original photo with my first selection of the crop area highlighted. = undo the cropping, but not the selection of the crop area.

Thank you for working on this.