You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom shortcut for "Replace Image"?

Shortcuts work for menu items such as File > Place, but generally not for Context Toolbar buttons.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 10 months later...

Is there any news on this topic for a shortcut for "Replace Image"?

I can not believe, that such an important task, one needs that often when doing professional layout work, is not accessible via shortcut !

I am sure that I am missing something here, yes?

greetings

• 2 months later...

I agree, this could be such a time saver. 

Please introduce the ability to add shortcuts to context toolbar items. Or, move those into a menu if it's too difficult to implement, that way they'll be available for shortcuts.

Bert

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a solution to this as I am looking at it now as well. I think there should not have to be a separate command for replacing an image... we should just be able to use the place command and it replaces an image.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, fffelan said:

yes please.

The place command can just replace whatever you have selected... when you have nothing selected place the new image.

please. please. please. 

Place = Replace Image, there is no difference between them. So just select an image and use the keyboard shortcut for File > Place when you want to replace an image. I do this every day.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 2/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, MikeTO said:

Place = Replace Image, there is no difference between them. So just select an image and use the keyboard shortcut for File > Place when you want to replace an image. I do this every day.

What app(s) and OS does this work on for you?

File > Place for me just places another image in the document.

It does not replace an existing image if one is selected

(Windows 11)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

What app(s) and OS does this work on for you?

File > Place for me just places another image in the document.

It does not replace an existing image if one is selected

(Windows 11)

macOS. it's always done this so I assumed it worked that way on Windows, too.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

I believe I may know the cause of difference here - with a Picture Frame selected, and a file placed within this frame - using File > Place (or the Place Image Tool / keyboard shortcut) will act in the same way as the 'Replace Image' option - as the Place action already has a designated target, the selected Picture Frame.

With no active selection, or selection of a placed document outside of a Picture Frame, the File > Place and alternative options will all add the new placed file as a new layer, rather than replacing your current selection or last placed document, for example.

This behaviour is consistent across both OS's for me, please do let me know if you're able to replicate differently!

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!