You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

The options to hide the IP appear too complex for now, this https://hide.me offers it online but doesn't work to me and ends in the same, blocked result.

Perhaps the Tor Browser would work for you. It's free, and easy to download and install.

https://www.torproject.org/download/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

The options to hide the IP appear too complex for now, this https://hide.me offers it online but doesn't work to me and ends in the same, blocked result.

HMA used to be completely free (perhaps with limited features) but they now only offer paid plans with a free trial. Hide.me got a fairly good review here, with a few criticisms, but it obviously isn’t any use at all if it doesn’t work for you! Perhaps Hotspot Shield will do what Hide.me could not.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks @Walt and @Alfred, actually I don't miss this option, the gutenberg project was the first time I run into the issue.

I mentioned "too complex" because I would want to invest more time for recherche first before installing any of those security related apps. "Hotspot Shield" links me to the Apple app store, there are more than 40 of those apps, from 1,4 MB to 25 MB size. Besides security concerns I want to avoid any "invitation" message to update or upgrade a free or trail version, I experience already the MAS (+ macOS) as being repeatedly annoying about updates.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I think the problem has to do with going from text into Scrivener into Word into Publisher. I am assuming you are using the text files from Gutenberg. Plus from what I could see in your publisher document the Paragraph styles seem to be riddled with overrides on one style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

going from text into Scrivener into Word into Publisher

What makes you suppose this may cause copied text? Did you experience a similar or any specific issue in Affinity with this text input workflow?

I think overrides of saved text styles aren't any issue here, at least never should cause this copied text. Consider that a.) you can layout without using saved styles at all – even that should work properly while you wouldn't see overrides this way, or b.) actually any saved style can be understood as kind of override of the basic "[No Style]", or c.) compare colors which are applied without being saved swatches.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I think the problem has to do with going from text into Scrivener into Word into Publisher. I am assuming you are using the text files from Gutenberg. Plus from what I could see in your publisher document the Paragraph styles seem to be riddled with overrides on one style.

The problem doesn't actually happen until I start playing with the file in Publisher, so I don't think it's an importing issue.

After playing around with it some more, I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the combination of Drop Cap and font. If I change the font of that initial letter, it's fine. If I use a Drop Cap on that initial letter and keep it in the same font as the rest of the text, it's fine. But if I use a Drop Cap on the initial letter and change the font (or use a Style), I get the repeating line.

Still, it doesn't always happen. I'm not clear on why it happens when it does.

(I haven't had much luck using styles, which is why my document is "riddled" with overrides. I haven't actually applied any styles here; I've just selected the whole thing to apply indents, justification, hyphenation, etc. and done each initial capital separately.)

If anyone knows of another way I can apply a Drop Cap in a different font without ending up with this bug, please let me know.

7 minutes ago, SarahH said:

If anyone knows of another way I can apply a Drop Cap in a different font without ending up with this bug, please let me know.

In case you haven't noticed my recent post + video above: It shows that the copied line disappears as soon I delete on page 122 the space between the cap 'I' and 'know', without changing the font or anything else. This space appears to be drop-capped together with the capital letter 'I'. – So deleting this space might be worth a trial at least.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

In case you haven't noticed my recent post + video above: It shows that the copied line disappears as soon I delete on page 122 the space between the cap 'I' and 'know', without changing the font or anything else. This space appears to be drop-capped together with the capital letter 'I'. – So deleting this space might be worth a trial at least.

Excellent! That works, for some reason. (It's a good thing this is for print only, because I'm ending up with some strange words at the beginnings of chapters like "Iknow".) It's a little annoying that Publisher is messing things up because of that space, but at least this is a workable solution for now.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...