probably something very dumb? I don´t know.... 

Hi MBd, 

Well, I just learnt something, .mov does not play in QuickTime Player — Had to use VLC! 

How did you create the grey layer? 

Maybe it needs to be rasterised? 

Paul. 

@MBd,

Don't use the Dodge or Burn tools, those are "destructive" while this approach is not...

Try using the regular paint brush tool, with white or black to dodge and burn. Hit X to swap between foreground and background colors (black and white), and of course the Eraser Brush tool to "revert" the effect...

Also don't forget to change the Blending mode of your Gray layer (where you paint black and white on) to Soft Light or Overlay or one of the Lighting blend modes.

For more control set up 2 gray layers, one for dodging and one for burning so you can control the opacity and blend mode on each independently.

Have fun!

probably something very dumb? I don´t know.... 

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Hey Paul, thanks, I think the rasterize thing will do the trick! I´ll try it out later when I´m back home :)

ronnyb, thank you for the other suggestions which are also possible. I don´t see anything destructive using the grey layer and the D&B tools as well...

I´ve even seen someone using black and white layers (with blending modes) and blend if for "cheapo D&B" :D

so there are quite some different approaches ;)

Hi MBd, 

Let me know how you get on!  ;)

Yes, the problem is you're using a fill layer which isn't rasterised.  I made the same mistake when I first tried to do this.  Either rasterise a fill layer or just create a new pixel layer and fill it with 50% grey.

MBd, I mis-read your original post and thought you were d & b directly on the background layer... muh' bad!

Hey Paul, thanks, I think the rasterize thing will do the trick! I´ll try it out later when I´m back home :)

ronnyb, thank you for the other suggestions which are also possible. I don´t see anything destructive using the grey layer and the D&B tools as well...

I´ve even seen someone using black and white layers (with blending modes) and blend if for "cheapo D&B" :D

so there are quite some different approaches ;)

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

A Fill layer is a particular type of layer that lets you change/edit its fill color/gradient anytime trough the color/gradient panel / Gradient Tool. It's not like a regular painted pixel layer where you can't edit its color or gradient in realtime. I'm not sure you should be painting on a Fill layer directly. If you want to make it destructive and paint over for D&B purposes you must convert it to a pixel layer rasterising it first.

But you're right it's not clear what happens (or what is supposed to happen when you paint over a Fill layer). I will check this.