You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Re)Testing Download Content In My Account

Hey...

Just to let you guys know.. If you download the new beta releases for Photo and Designer. Then uninstall the apps bought from the Windows Store.. Next Open up one of the beta customers programs in the back to the screen where it asks for the license of the software and email.. At that moment. Go to the Store and then reinstall the apps from the Windows Store it seems to kind of trick the OS somehow or let's some files override that needs to open in order to "Register the Software".  I didn't even run it as an Administrator, I just reinstalled it. It's a work around but it worked for me.

I'm using Windows Version 1.9.1.979

OS Details are Microsoft Windows 10 Home (version 10.0.19041)

So I'm downloading my content and then moving on to Designer. If this works for anyone else let me know. I used the latest Beta Release for Windows.

Hope this helps.

~ Thomas H.

REGISTRATION_FIX.jpg

Edited by BobCousyKidd
Better Explanation

• 4 weeks later...

758841346_affinitytestingdownloadinstallcontent.jpg.9c1d6142de8ec0844d85d11c83a5f0d8.jpg

The amount of responses (and views) during development of this new download & installation interface for easier access to external brushes or assets (styles, palettes, etc. too ?) makes me wonder what role this feature plays within the Affinity roadmap – and what role to the users. It appears to be of large interest.

Unfortunately I am missing the point and can't see a major benefit. I still have no problems with manual, old school downloads and installs of additional app content. Curious:
• Do you use it often? Daily, weekly or monthly?
• Do you install / uninstall / reinstall brushes or assets between certain projects?
If yes, why? Is it to save memory required by Affinity app data? Or to clean / sort / reduce a panel's overload?

While I assume a general scripting interface could be useful every day and multiple times a day I still lack in understanding the goal of this new installation interface and therefore I welcome any ideas, suggestions or help. – How intense do you use it?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Unfortunately I am missing the point and can't see a major benefit. I still have no problems with manual, old school downloads and installs of additional app content. Curious:

I see it mostly as a quicker & simpler way to add my purchased content to the apps, but also as a quick way to see what is & is not installed. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I still have no problems with manual, old school downloads and installs of additional app content.

I have no problems downloading manually, but it's easier to let it happen automatically if I can afford the space and performance effects. It's also easier to keep 3 applications synchronized across multiple computers using the new function. 6 applications, really, counting the betas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I have no problems downloading manually, but it's easier to let it happen automatically if I can afford the space and performance effects.

I can easily afford the space & performance effects on my iMac with the auto-downloads but I still would like to be able to delete or rename some of the assets & other content items in the same way I can with manual downloads.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I still would like to be able to delete or rename some of the assets & other content items in the same way I can with manual downloads.

But you can delete/rename content selectively after installation, right? And then export such customized content locally, e.g. for further/later (re-)installations?

What happens via MyAccount with items of purchased content that aren't meant to be installed inside Affinity, for instance additional material like PDFs with brush / asset preview images? Are they ignored via MyAccount installation?

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

But you can delete/rename content selectively after installation, right?

Not for asset "packs" installed via the My Account links, at least on my iMac. The Delete & Rename options are greyed out in the right-click popup menu for each of those items in the sub-category list.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Not for asset "packs" installed via the My Account links, at least on my iMac. The Delete & Rename options are greyed out in the right-click popup menu for each of those items in the sub-category list.

Not on Windows, either, the last time I checked.

The delete/rename for individual items is restricted unless the user has manually downloaded from the web store via their browser.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:
3 hours ago, thomaso said:

But you can delete/rename content selectively after installation, right?

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Not on Windows, either,

Thank you both for your responses. As you noticed I still hesitate to try the MyAccount download/install feature; I am afraid it might cause any not-un-doable consequence (similar to the decision for purchase via either Serif-Store or Apple/Windows-Store). Do you know of such a possibly unexpected result preventing the use of the manual way of installation? Or does an installation via MyAccount versus a manual installation from custom disk not influence each other and do work entirely independent of each other?

And: What happens via MyAccount with items of purchased content that aren't meant to be installed inside the app, for instance additional material like PDFs with brush / asset preview images? Are they ignored – or how do they become presented via MyAccount installation?

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Do you know of such a possibly unexpected result preventing the use of the manual way of installation? Or does an installation via MyAccount versus a manual installation from custom disk not influence each other and do work entirely independent of each other?

They are independent.

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

And: What happens via MyAccount with items of purchased content that aren't meant to be installed inside the app, for instance additional material like PDFs with brush / asset preview images? Are they ignored – or how do they become presented via MyAccount installation?

Items which cannot be downloaded/installed via My Account won't be. They are ignored by the download/install process and give you a link to the Affinity Store for you to handle them manually. Though for some items like user guides they may provide a link directly to that guide, which will open in your browser.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.