You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Re)Testing Download Content In My Account

Photo iPad beta .215

When I go to My Account the app freezes. Sometime I just wait a minute or so an then the list of availble content disappears completely, after a few second "IOS 11 UI Kit" reappears in the list, but it's the only item listed. I signed out and logged back right in, go to My Account and all items are back on the list, but then it freezes again. I waited a long time an then the app shuts down popping up the window saying that Affinity Photo had a problem and the sharing options. 

I had this exact same problem with the previous beta. Same problem with Designer. It's like if the connection with the server was lost or the server couldn't keep up with the demand.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

5 hours ago, j3rry said:

but the the free gifts are only accessible via web.

Do you mean they're not showing up in the list at all? If so, it might help to know which ones.

Or that they show up, but direct you to the web store? Again, knowing which ones might be helpful.

Also, is this consistent for all 3 of applications, or specific to one or two of them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you mean they're not showing up in the list at all? If so, it might help to know which ones.

Or that they show up, but direct you to the web store? Again, knowing which ones might be helpful.

Also, is this consistent for all 3 of applications, or specific to one or two of them?

They show up but direct me to the store (you see the store icon in my screenshot)

I have only tested in the APh beta ... 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

1 hour ago, j3rry said:

They show up but direct me to the store (you see the store icon in my screenshot)

I have only tested in the APh beta ... 

Sorry; I didn't recognize any of the ones in your screenshot as being free.

Mine directs to the store for the Dirk Wustenhagen texture collection, too. But that's correct, I think, because the textures are .jpg files, not something that installs into the Affinity applications directly. My Account is only installing content into the application, such as brushes, assets, macros, and styles.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Hi @j3rry,

As @walt.farrell said, I can confirm that only packs which are installed directly into the Affinity apps are installable via this dialog (brushes, styles, assets etc.). Where the pack is not of one of these formats (fonts, sample files or zip files for instance) we instead provide a link to the downloads page on the store.

Hopefully that clears things up and accounts for what you're seeing.

Sorry if I didn't find my question in this thread (it's related to the feature's starting point):

I wonder why I need to register at all to test this feature, I would expect that the app must be registered to be able to launch at all, right? For Serif Store purchases I need to use the registration key. For Apple Store according to MEB's info it seems to be irrelevant (or happen via AppStore?).

• What makes this separate registration necessary, what does it exactly in difference to a previous registration via reg-key?
• Should the registration dialog occur for non-Serif Store purchases only?

412719987_affinitybetaregister.thumb.jpg.406b583e8e714b5975857f2c6c49e4f2.jpg932983855_affinitynoregister.jpg.792b59a3ed9077b2a7efcda3f93e052a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 12/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, Amateur John said:

Photo 1.9.0.876, Publisher 1.9.0.874, Designer 1.9.0.876 .

All seemed  to install correctly on my main computer. When I try to register the app, after the "Please wait a moment" message is shown for a few seconds The app crashes. The system is running Windows 10.0.19042. I have16.0 GB memory and plenty of space on my C and D drives.

The second time that I ran the programs all seemed fine until I clicked on the my account icon. This opened the window which invites me to login. When I attempt to do so then the app crashes.

I have also loaded photo and publisher on to my laptop, which is a much lower spec machine. It all works perfectly there. I have logged out of my account on the laptop and closed the apps.

I still get the same behaviour with the current betas.

Since no-one else is reporting this I assume that there is something amiss on my computer. I have used DISM.exe and sfc with the parameters suggested in Microsoft's support pages and the file system seems fine. I have also checked my McAfee logs and no events are shown to indicate that it has blocked communications.

Might I have a problem with a port being closed?

1510722094_affinitybetaregvs.sign-in.jpg.e9f1d9e5ab9108b05c995ba46c0a25ec.jpg

Thanks @haakoo for the hint. (I still haven't tried yet)

Why is that necessary at all? Again, in my impression the app has to be signed in to be able to launch at all, and at least when e.g. checking for updates at any time, right? – What am I misunderstanding?

Designer 1.9.16 iPad

Still get the same problem. I can log into my account and after waiting a few seconds it freezes completely. I then wait a minute or so and then the list disappears.

Sometimes the app does not shut down and I can press the "Close" button and I go back in the app still logged in. If I go back to My Account, the list is there  and I can "Sign Out" normally.

On an other try it frooze and finally shut down completely offering me to "share" the error ( I did many times).

I don't have this problem with the latest Photo beta (iPad), neither with any of the Windows versions.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff
27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Why is that necessary at all?

It is not necessary, it is optional. It is an optional way of connecting your software directly with your Affinity Store account.

If you want the free content you can register and get it fed straight into the application

If you want future purchases to auto install, you can log in and they will be there to auto-install when you want

If you are not interested in either of the above you do not need to do anything. There is a don't show me this option again button. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

I would expect that the app must be registered to be able to launch at all, right?

The app must be "licenced", not "registered". Registration is optional, and allows you to download purchases (and free content) from the Affinity Store, in-app.

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

It is not necessary, it is optional. It is an optional way of connecting your software directly with your Affinity Store account.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Registration is optional, and allows you to download purchases (and free content) from the Affinity Store, in-app.

Thank you both! And sorry I wasn't clear. From this thread I am aware that this option activates optional in-app installations (like a shortcut of manual download + separate installation).

What I am interested in is to understand a rather technical aspect of this sign-in procedure: What channel/access does it "open" that the current already working update feature doesn't do? As far I remember the current retail app version can update itself within the app without signing in before, right? – Why wouldn't this way work for other purchases, too?

• Staff
27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Why wouldn't this way work for other purchases, too?

How is the software meant to know what to download (what you have purchased) if you don't point it at your Affinity Account? How can it download anything without registering? The software for user A needs to see user A'a Affinity store account to download the content that user A has purchased/claimed. We absolutely could have given you the free content without this process, but we have bigger ambitions to ease the process of purchased content.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

34 minutes ago, thomaso said:

As far I remember the current retail app version can update itself within the app without signing in before, right? – Why wouldn't this way work for other purchases, too?

1. That can work for applications purchased from the Affinity Store. It cannot work for applications purchased from the Mac App Store nor the Microsoft Store, as those applications have no connection to an account at the Affinity Store.
  2. Even for Affinity Store purchases, the copy of your email address "baked into" the application may not match the current email address associated with your Affinity Store account. So there must be some kind of sign-in mechanism within the application to access the account, so you can specify the current email address.

-- Walt
PC:

Upgraded all 3 applications to .911.

1. 102 Lightning Brushes and 525 Mystical Lights were (re?)downloaded on all 3 applications.
  2. Publisher did not automatically download the assets pack from Christi's Comix Toolbox. I had to manually click the download icon.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

How is the software meant to know what to download (what you have purchased) if you don't point it at your Affinity Account?

In my imagination the current "Check for Updates..." function could/would already take notice of my individual user account (= be signed-in all time) at the Affinity Store, and therefore I thought the new feature for additional app-in downloads would not require my extra sign-in. I just thought the Serif Strore server already knows who I am because it knows what app is installed with what license key (~account).

Maybe this is my misunderstanding? Maybe an app update isn't / doesn't have to be related to a certain, individual user or registration key at all, but compares app version numbers only and starts an according download / installation without having a look into the account at all.

• Staff

@thomaso

You have only misunderstood a little bit. Even if you are "signed in" to your account on a browser on your computer, the Affinity application itself cannot talk to any other applications on your computer. As such your Affinity application has to log into the affinity store itself in order for the "check for content" to function. So now you can see that the application has to log into the store to "auto-download", now you are just need to appreciate that we have also provided some UI so you can decide what content to download and installs, because you may not want it all installed all the time. So rather than content downloading all being "behind the scenes & fully automated as you suggest, this UI does allow for the content to be fully automated but it can alternatively be set to only download the things in your account you specifically want in this application on this OS. So it's a lot like you describe, but with more options available than you suggested.

As far as the store "knowing what you have bought already", that is true but, this option will also be available to Microsoft store and Mac App Store and iPad Store users also, who claim content or buy content for use in the software.

You will appreciate that some content is Designer specific, some is Photo specific, some is Publisher specific and some is a combination or generic. As such registering the application is needed to offer the right subset of your store content that is suitable for this particular application. in other words there is no point downloading Designer specific content if you are running Photo, so the UI shows ALL your content and suggests that you (auto) install the appropriate stuff only.

I hope you see that to download everything silently in the background would not be what everyone wants and we have provided more flexibility than that

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Just noticed (or remembered to check, really) that Designer .911 still claims to have downloaded/installed the Free Macro Pack, JR Macros: Channels, and Live Filters Macro Pack.

Edit: Having closed Designer, deleted macros.propcol, and restarted Designer it now shows the 3 macro packs as incompatible, as it should.

-- Walt
PC:

@Patrick Connor  I am posting here rather in the link you suggested because this is specific to Designer.  I just downloaded 1.9.23 and successfully registered it then opened My Account.  So far so good.  But it listed only 4 options available for download, rather than several listed in the Photo My Account.  Notably, one listed in Photo as unable to be downloaded but available in Designer did not appear at all in the Designer list.   This time the Luminance pack was not even listed.  Gremlins?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

Mine take up to 30 seconds to refresh, yours sounds worse than that like it has given up. In the My Account page burger menu is there a manual refresh?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.