You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Crashes on Exporting PNG file

Hi,

Just wanted to list this bug that I've been getting. I used to get it way less frequently, but with the latest update it happens very frequently (sometimes on the 2nd export and definitely by the 5th export).

More specifically, I have a file with multiple artboards in it. I export elements out of one of the active artboard, in PNG format (I select 'export only selected without background' in the Area tab). The window then disappears, nothing is exported (because the save dialog window does not appear) and nothing works afterwards. This error is more likely to happen when I drag and drop a previously exported PNG file into the file (to test that it is okay) and nothing happens! The file does not appear. Same if I try to drag and drop it in Photo. Might be because it got corrupted during the export? The only fix for me at the moment is to close the software through task manager and start again, until the same crash occurs.

I have created clean files, only one artboard at a time etc, I reset the settings by having the CTRL button pressed on launch, the error will keep happening.

It is a Windows 10, tower PC with 32gb of RAM, Nvidia 2070RTX, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, so I don't think it is my specs. I even lowered the max ram to be used in the performance tab and that seemed to make it work better for a couple more exports than usual, and then the same crash happened.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Additional info: So I have been looking at the exported files that seem to cause a crash and cannot be drag and dropped, when I open them by right-clicking and select 'Open With', Designer will open them, but the file will have a shortened name and appears in all caps - vs other exports that can be dragged and dropped, whose naming appears correctly. Some elements that could not be dragged and dropped eventually fixed when I re-exported them, but some are always problematic and I have done nothing different to their exporting process.

-- Manually renaming the files, allows them to be opened & dragged and dropped normally. But the naming is exactly the same as before (!?).

Final Edit - I have narrowed it down to something within that specific file I was trying to export from, other files (exact same multiple artboard style, same exporting process and naming),  have been exporting just fine. There is obviously a bug there, but I cannot share the file in question as it is work related.. As this is something that has happened before though it might be worth looking into ( consecutive exporting from multiple artboards from within the same file, has caused my Designer to crash on numerous occasions).

Edited by Raistlin55
Additional info

Just another note on the above issue, I believe this bug was caused because I was exporting the elements into a file chain that had too many subdirectories and could not handle a large name due to the windows character limitation - once I moved the file higher up, the exporting worked.. Leaving the posts in case someone else comes up with this issue, but mods can feel free to remove. 

• Staff

Hi Raistlin55,

Thanks for your last note! I can tell you that we're aware of a crash that can happen when using File > Save As or Export into a folder that will exceed Windows Path Name limit of 260 characters, so it definitely does look like this is what you're running into! I'm glad you've worked your way around it!

Obviously this post is useful for anyone else who encounters this so I will of course leave it here. I will pass your information on and get it bumped the issue bumped with development however.