You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RESOLVED! Pixel Brushes Keep Disappearing - Reinstalled and they Disappeared again

Update 2: RESOLVED!! - identified a set of newly installed pixel brushes causing the problem

-------------------------------

Update 1: I uninstalled Affinity Photo last night to see if that was causing the issue.  I then reinstalled my brushes in Affinity Designer.  When I opened Affinity Designer this morning, the Pixel brushes had again disappeared.

-----------------------------------

Yesterday all of my purchased PIxel brushes disappeared (the ones that come with the program are still there).  My vector brushes were unaffected.

I reinstalled all of my pixel brushes, and then they disappeared again about 10 hours later.

I reinstalled them all again, and within an hour they have disappeared (vector brushes still unaffected).

This is happening to me at the same time in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.

I've been using Affinity Designer for a year without a problem.  I purchased and installed Affinity Photo yesterday - I think this was prior to the Pixel brush issue.  I also bought some brushes and was in the process of installing them over the last few days. These are the only things that have changed on my computer (Wacom studio pro).  Any ideas on what the issue could be?  Thank you!

Computer: WACOM STUDIO PRO, running Windows 10

• Staff

Hi @Turtle,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, this certainly isn't a common issue with the apps!

The most common cause for files going 'missing' are third party 'cleaning' apps, such as CCleaner. We've seen these types of apps determine the Affinity App Data to be 'unnecessary data' that is removed from the system.

Could you please confirm for me, do you have any such apps installed? Or any other apps that may affect your Windows User Permissions to save files?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thank you for responding!  I don't have any apps like what you described installed.  I've been using the same computer ever since I installed Affinity Designer in December 2019 - haven't had any issues until now and the only software/app change to my computer around the time the issue started was my installation of Affinity Photo and my downloading and installation of brushes that I purchased during the Black Friday sales.

I think I've ruled out Affinity Photo as the culprit - I uninstalled it and was still able to reproduce the issue.  I'm wondering if it's a specific pixel brush that is causing the issue.  I've been installing them in small batches yesterday and today, using them for a few hours, and then installing the next batch.  I was able to reproduce the problem with one specific batch of brushes and today I'm installing that set in smaller batches.  I'm a bit of a brush hoarder, so there are a lot to go through.

Thank you :)

• Staff
7 hours ago, Turtle said:

I think I've identified the culprit!  It's a set of pixel brushes I downloaded from gumroad named "Himitsu ΓÇô Sketching Brushes" (https://gumhoad.com/products/BDpLP/)

Many thanks for letting us know!

So when installing these brushes, they are still available in your app until you restart, and then none of your brushes are available?
Or do the brushes simply appear to disappear randomly after installing these brushes?

I'd like any information you can provide, so I can pass this onto our QA team for further testing :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

The brushes disappear randomly at some point while the application is still running.  I think the initial delay between the first instance and the second instance (about 10 hours) was because I was installing my brushes one at a time because they were in separate folders, so the problem didn't occur until after I got around to installing the problematic brush set.  I eventually put all of my brush files into a single folder so that I could install them all at once, and then the issue started happening very soon after installation.

Removing the three characters ΓÇô from the file name prior to installation seems to fix the problem, but I've decided to leave the brushes uninstalled just in case.

• Staff

Apoplogies for the delayed response and thanks for the information provided! I will get this logged with our development team now so we can hopefully avoid this in the future :)

I strongly suspect that the cause of this is the non-ascii characters, so removing these should fix the issue, but I certainly understand your hesitance with this brush set!

Please note -

Many thanks!