You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Panel Textstyles causes trouble on second screen

Hi there!

I use a dual screen setup (Win 10 - 20H2, Auros RX5700XT graphics card, latest drivers as of 5.12.2020) and decided to move some panels to the second screen. Among them is the textstyle panel. While changing the size of any panel works fine on the second screen, any relevant change of the textstyle panel freezes the app. No crash report, no error message.

Here is my recipe:

1. Create a new document of any size and format or load an existing one.
  2. Drag some panels out of the apps main window and place them on the second screen.
  3. Adjust the size of any of them, e.g. the pages panel - everything works fine.
  4. Resize the textstyle panel in height by clickdraging the bottom of the panel downwards - boom! App freezes.

By the way: Designer is affected, too. With Designer it is even worse: Sometimes just clicking on the title of the panel causes Designer to crash. And in both cases it is only the textstyle panel that causes the freeze (at least in my case).

Is that a know problem or just limited to my pc?

Best,
Volker

Edited by VolkerMB
Additional information

Is this specific to the beta, or does it affect the retail releases, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Gabe,

thats it: The scaling on both screens was set to 115%. The moment I reset it to 100% everthing works fine again. But now all elements are so tiny... I need new glasses!

Thanks for your help!

By the way: While still on 115% I tried to find a configuration that works for me (e.g. keeping the textstyle panel on screen A while having all other panels on screen B) - to no avail. Sometimes even a simple click on the textsytle panel made the app freeze. And, again, the issue is limited to the textstyle panel. All others do work fine on any position. If I remeber correctly there was a similar issue with the appearance panel in a previous beta, right?

Best,
Volker

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

i have a similiar problem in all 3 affinity programs, since i bought them in december 2020.

Once the text styles panel is visible, the application freezes immediately. 

Could you explain what you mean with the dpi scaling, please? Maybe it could help me out there.

Thank you in advance.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.