You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This has been happening on both the Beta and the standard release since I started writing books in it.  Every time I save a file, even if I open the file and hit the space bar, then the backspace key and save, my file size increases.  It's maddening.  I have a (current) 700 page document with about 32 megs of embedded art (I have compressed the shit out of all my image files, none are about 1mb, most are a few Kb to a  couple hundred depending on the art).  All I have is text, some a blue header bar and my save file size ranges from 300 Megs to 700 Megs.  The file starts smaller, each save after the one that reset the file size small adds between 40-100 Megs to the save file, even if I change nothing.  This has happened to me in every version of the program (beta and standard). 

Is Publisher attempting to add compression to my image files?  They don't need it, I have them compressed to the maximum.  Some of the image files I even set to ZERO image quality to see if it would make a difference and the file size continues to escalate (even after I compressed 138 Images to a fraction of their initial size) even as I continue to shrink my embedded art sizes.  I don't know what it's doing, but I don't want to save the same file (with no changes) 15 times and check the file size every time just to see if it will finally reset the size to a smaller file size.  That's what I have to do now to get the document file down to reasonable file sizes.  

Another example, when I was running grossly uncompressed images the file size was stable around 700 Megs.  I crunched all the files into JPG at 10-40% Quality and then ran them through https://tinypng.com to further compress them.  Any PNG files I have in the document have been reduced to 8bit to retain transparency and then I run them through the same Tinypng compression.  I'm looking at about 32 megs of total art at the moment due to my compression and quality downgrade.  I have spent days doing it, and the file sizes maddeningly climb back up to around 680 Megs before dropping back down.  

Anyone see anything like this?

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

I have been having something simmilar in Publisher with PDF exports for a newsletter. IN 1.7 the files sizes were very reasonable. In 1.8 and 1.9 the file sizes have jumped enourmously for a the same size of newsletter. I have uploaded test files to Serif where the the files size is over 500mb for 3 pages of A4 with 12 images per page. If I export this as Digital high qaulity, about 90mb, then open the pdf in publisher (not place) the files files have dropped considerably and I can get a reasonable size pdf for digital to send by email. Clicking on my profile will list the recent posts about large size pdf

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

28 minutes ago, SaltyClownShoes said:

Every time I save a file, even if I open the file and hit the space bar, then the backspace key and save, my file size increases.

Hello @SaltyClownShoes,

do you by any chance have 'File > Save History With Document' active? This could explain this.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

12 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello @SaltyClownShoes,

do you by any chance have 'File > Save History With Document' active? This could explain this.

d.

Let me look.  I hope that's it.  The following is a screen shot of my files and I have done nothing but compress images for days... Keeps getting bigger

647775654_CrazyFiles.jpg.bb1d4f64be83b64e44dfc0ccce75570b.jpg

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

15 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello @SaltyClownShoes,

d.

You beautiful human being!  I was losing my mind... My god, the discrepancy is maddening.  I will take it.

1998571363_HolyShit.jpg.ab58bcb350e0b826df202936967f8418.jpg

22 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I have been having something simmilar in Publisher with PDF exports for a newsletter. IN 1.7 the files sizes were very reasonable. In 1.8 and 1.9 the file sizes have jumped enourmously for a the same size of newsletter. I have uploaded test files to Serif where the the files size is over 500mb for 3 pages of A4 with 12 images per page. If I export this as Digital high qaulity, about 90mb, then open the pdf in publisher (not place) the files files have dropped considerably and I can get a reasonable size pdf for digital to send by email. Clicking on my profile will list the recent posts about large size pdf

I appreciate the fast responses from all of you!

On a totally different topic, do either of you know why when the program tells me I have missing or incorrect fonts I the program will not locate it and I have no idea how to track it down other than to proofread the entire document.  It wasn't doing it in the stable release and it's not doing it in the latest beta either.  I love the program, just some of the bugs drive me close to insane!   I still wish there was a linear import from Page Plus x9, I want to convert all my old books to the new format.  Importing a PDF only works so well.  Are they ever going to add a conversion option? 

Ok, the file still keeps growing as I continue to compress more images.  Still boggles my mind, it's now up from the 293 Megs after I compressed about 12 Megs of Images to 2 Megs.  Doesn't make sense that the document is now 323 Megs, it's grown 33 megs since I continued to reduce the Image size.  I have no idea what it's doing but I'm grateful that the file size is no longer approaching 700 Megs.  Thank you for all your help, I am grateful.  Have to take a victory where you can these days!  This program is odd though. 

Final Size this morning is 339, 236 Kb  after compressing 23 additional image files to either a 10th their size or more than 50% less.  The file should have gone from 293 to like 270 but it keeps growing the more I shrink the files (and outright delete other images).  

Still happy it's much smaller but this program is crazy!

Under Document>Font Manager you should be able to highlight the missing font and click locate, only use occassional for headings which I load through a font manager. I am on windows 10

image.png.6da73d84f5f8afaca6e6341482b6e191.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

5 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

Under Document>Font Manager you should be able to highlight the missing font and click locate, only use occassional for headings which I load through a font manager. I am on windows 10

image.png.6da73d84f5f8afaca6e6341482b6e191.png

That's what I do.  But it's hit or miss.  It only works for a couple fonts listed.  Any of the "Missing Fonts" the Locate button does nothing.  I am giving up for the morning.  I appreciate the help tho!

I have noticed on previous occassions when I loaded a file with many missing fonts each instance is listed seperately I think. but the font only needs to be located once. The problem comes when you do not have the font and need to substitute all the variations and occurances, I do not think changing one variation to an installed font change all instances, I may be wrong. It could do with a pop up when the document is opened, even if it is an APub file, simmilar to Resource Manager for images etc. 

Alan Pickup

54 minutes ago, SaltyClownShoes said:

That's what I do.  But it's hit or miss.  It only works for a couple fonts listed.  Any of the "Missing Fonts" the Locate button does nothing.  I am giving up for the morning.  I appreciate the help tho!

Hi @SaltyClownShoes,

check out the Preflight panel. It should also help with missing fonts.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

7 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @SaltyClownShoes,

check out the Preflight panel. It should also help with missing fonts.

d.

I will work with that more.  I am still having issues locating some of the fonts, is it possible some of these fonts aren't even in the document?  What I have noticed is that I can snap to some and not others.  I wonder if they are a "ghost" record of fonts that I have changed to others.  Still at a bit of a loss, but I am learning and I thank you for your help and suggestions!

10 hours ago, SaltyClownShoes said:

I am still having issues locating some of the fonts, is it possible some of these fonts aren't even in the document?

I doubt that fonts that are not at all referenced in a document are showing up as missing. It may be that a document that has a longer history of creation stages (e.g. import parts of Word documents or copy and paste from the internet) may have strange 'traces'. One way to get rid of these (at least with a test document) is to copy the entire text into a plain text editor and copy and paste it back in. This will erase all formatting information but will cause a major rework of the layout.

One other thing you can do is to use 'Find and Replace' from the Studio. The little cog icon top right of the search field lets you open a 'Choose Format' dialogue. There you select in the Font section 'Missing' from the dropdown. This finds all occurences of missing fonts.

d.

I think I finally got a handle on the missing fonts, I changed the odd font to completely obvious one and was able to locate it manually and change it.  Been cleaning up the document ever since.  I appreciate you help!  I will use your suggestions in the future. 

14 minutes ago, SaltyClownShoes said:

I changed the odd font to completely obvious one and was able to locate it manually and change it.

Sometimes it's the simple things that do the trick 🙂  Glad you got it sorted out.

Cheers,
d.