You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create a white outline ...

Hello all ...

I have several vector graphics stacked up on top of each other.

They are not lined up but spread out a bit.

I want to make a border around the outline of the combined graphics.

I don't know if I would use stroke or Boolean or what?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks ...

Salmon School Border.afdesign

Bob                

Windows 10           Affinity Designer:  1.8.5.703

Hello Eagle Works,

If I understood the question correctly, one way to do this could be to copy all the general salmon shapes (all paths 4993 and 7623), do an "Add" boolean operation with them, remove the fill and paste the result at the bottom of the layers.
With this shape selected, go to the "Appearance" tab of the studio, set the stroke to white, adjust the thickness and set it to "Outside". Still in "Appearance", add a green stroke thicker than the white one, also on "Outside" and put it under the white stroke.
I put a link to the modified file:
https://www.cjoint.com/c/JLgiLVvPUwq
Someone else may have a better solution for you.

2020-12-06_094330.jpg

In addition to the advice above, I have a few questions:
1. Do you need the result to be purely vector or would you be happy with a rasterised version?
2. Do you want the border to be around just the combined fish, or the whole artwork including the outer green curve, or just the outer green curve?
3. If you want to include the outer green curve, do you want the border to just go outside that curve or inside as well?
I’ve attached an example where I have simply added an Outline Effect to the whole group (which would cause rasterisation). If you can annotate it with which parts you want and which you don’t want then someone can probably help further.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 084716.png

1. Select the Green outline curve
  2. Duplicate it
  3. Place the duplicate to the bottom of the layer stack
  4. Increase the stroke width to 48 pt (18pt = .25 inch) the stroke is centre aligned so add 36 pt to the 12pt = 48pt
  5. Expand Stroke
  6. Boolean Divide
  7. Boolean Add
  8. Colour shape to white.

image.png.7f980e9381b46d4f32e837c80ced7f4b.png

You have a few small flecks of black near the fishes snouts, select the node tool and Cmd/Ctrl clicking on them will allow you to delete them. The top fleck is duplicated so you will need to delete twice.

If you want the internal background to be transparent, you can flip the fill to the stroke, set the stroke alignment to: Inside and make the stroke width 19pt

image.png.8bbee7916ee823870e2d924051ae3e4a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the responses ...

To clear up what I meant ....  Sorry for the confusion.

The green line was just meant to show where I wanted the outline.

I do want a white outline the hugs the school of ss

I meant to post the following .jpg to show what I meant.  After I posted the .afd file, I forgot to post the .jpg..

It's called old age!

Now you can see what I am trying to do.

Thanks for listening ...

Salmon 1 School.jpg

Bob                

Thanks for the precision, the principle remains the same as for my first message, with a small change: duplicate all the tongues, place them at the very bottom of the layers and do a boolean operation "Add" (the tongues) and the general shape which is already in bs of the layers.

2020-12-06_181941.jpg

salomon_outline.jpg.c3fd77bb8f09b8542af3992abb4fd0da.jpg

You can also remove the setup "white fill" I used for the white path4993 combound layer, in order to have just white stroke outlines then. - The purple rect background layer is only there to showup the applied outlines better for you, remove it!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

OK, thanks to all for your help.

I need to do more practice with Boolean.

Watch a few tutorials.

I got what I was looking for.

Thanks to G13RL for the tip on dealing with the tongues and to the rest of you for your thoughts ...

Be safe ...

Bob