You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Layer isolation mode

Hans

Option click on a layer in the layer panel switches to 'isolation mode' showing only the selected layer content. That is a very useful feature which could be enhanced by allowing to set a different temporary background colour. The chequered background makes it very hard to see/edit white objects.

A setting for a non-printing document background colour that, if set, also overrides the chequered background in this situation would be a possible solution. Often, I work on imported PDF and EPS documents, mostly greyscale and a non-printing document colour would in addition allow to easily spot where these documents contain unnecessary white background.

Hans,

Did you know that there is a preference in Designer to choose whether you have a transparent background or a regular white background? When you create a new document there is a check box. It might not help if you are working on white objects but then again you can always use the "outline" view or at the very least create a separate layer on the bottom and draw a large rectangle and fill it with a colour that is more to your liking? I hope that helps.

Hokusai

post-3209-0-79866200-1441713273_thumb.jpg

Hokusai,

Thank you for your suggestions, I had noticed this preference setting but as you said it does not solve the problem of white objects on white background and neither does it solve the main problem with layers in isolation mode. But if as suggested the Affinity team slightly extends this preference setting by (1) a user-selectable background colour and by (2) giving us the choice to use this colour in layer isolation mode then everything will be fine. I agree, placing a filled rectangle at the back is of course a workable approach if layer isolation mode is not required and your suggestion of the outline mode is at the moment the most sensible workaround for this problem in isolation mode. But in the end I would prefer a solid colour, looking for some time at outlined text in front of that chequered pattern is not easy on my eyes.

Do you eventually know how this is solved in other software?

In Photoline this is/can be solved by switching to document mode (rather than image mode). In document mode any background colour can be selected in the document properties, including transparency.

A custom document background colour setting would be very helpful in this regard.

In the meantime, you can create a new layer behind all other layers with exactly the gray (or color) you want and the transparency and transfer mode you need for your particular illustration. Just lock the layer and you are good to go...

In Photoline this is/can be solved by switching to document mode (rather than image mode). In document mode any background colour can be selected in the document properties, including transparency.

A custom document background colour setting would be very helpful in this regard.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17