You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.emf ungrouping causes PowerPoint crash.

Jon C

Hi,

I've created a simple graphic in AD and exported as an .emf file.  This opens fine in PowerPoint (latest 365 version), and Word, but when I come to ungroup the object PP and Word both crash.  Of course this could be a Microsoft issue but I have no way to verify if the AD export is correct either.

Has anyone seen this before or have a workaround please?

Thanks,

Jon C

Untitled.emf

13 hours ago, Jon C said:

I've created a simple graphic in AD and exported as an .emf file.  This opens fine in PowerPoint (latest 365 version), and Word, but when I come to ungroup the object PP and Word both crash.  Of course this could be a Microsoft issue but I have no way to verify if the AD export is correct either.

Has anyone seen this before or have a workaround please?

Interesting that Xara code (!) opens this file too because nothing else opens or converts it but Xara and Affinity. Invalid content or no content. Same author... ?

I see the same pattern exporting other basic shapes to EMF. This circle isn't even shown correctly in Xara.

I guess the EMF/WMF export is totally broken in Affinity.

cir.emf

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, mumbojumbo said:

I suggest you try saving file to SVG and opening in Inkscape 1.0, then saving to EMF and opening in PowerPoint. It should ungroup. The EMF and WMF export is totally broken in Affinity Designer since 1.6. Please have a look into my bug report featuring similar problem in Microsoft Word 2016+.

Hi, Thanks for the workaround.  It worked perfectly 😁.  Come on Serif though, we shouldn't need to jump through these hoops.

Cheers,
Jon C

You're welcome. Unfortunately it seems they are not willing to be helpful at all. Someone has even deleted my bug report in 1.9.0 beta forum this morning. And also has deleted my bug report files. If you ask me, this is some s***y attitude to a customer. Only Allah knows how many bug report has been deleted before.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, Sean P said:

Thanks for letting us know - I've passed this over to development to see if there is anything that can be done, however I did see someone report this issue with Word in a 15 year old forum post:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/cannot-ungroup-an-emf-file-inserted-into-powerpoint.2066687/

As I wrote before the EMF files your product delivers is not really imported by anything else than Xara. The root cause and real issue is the file from Serif software. I am not really sure the EMF export should be available in its current form. I could not get anything out of it that was imported in any program. Except Xara. And one of your developers once work for Xara... interesting.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

As I wrote before the EMF files your product delivers is not really imported by anything else than Xara. The root cause and real issue is the file from Serif software. I am not really sure the EMF export should be available in its current form. I could not get anything out of it that was imported in any program. Except Xara. And one of your developers once work for Xara... interesting.

I double down on this. I have exported AD drawing to EMF and opened the exported file in Inkscape 1.0. All I see is white space. AD EMF export is broken. 

• Staff
4 hours ago, mumbojumbo said:

....Someone has even deleted my bug report in 1.9.0 beta forum this morning. And also has deleted my bug report files. If you ask me, this is some shitty attitude to a customer. Only Allah knows how many bug report has been deleted before.

Please calm down using bad language will not change the software any faster. If you read my reply again you would see this is not true, and the post is hidden not deleted. It is still visible to us and contains no more useful information than the first time your reported this. It was hidden because there is no point re-reporting in a beta forum anything that affects the release version as well. The same few people read all the posts and it simply wastes everyone's time to read the same thing a number of times. Very few posts are hidden as most people here follow the guidelines (including those on bad language)

Importantly only issues that are specific to the beta version need to be reported in the beta forums. That is how we organise things round here, so normally your beta forum report would have been moved to the bugs forum. However in this case you already had one in the bugs forum covering the same thing, so the duplicate was hidden. If everyone who has reported a problem posted in every beta thread "you still have not fixed my report" then the threads would be impossible to find any new information, so please do not do that 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please calm down using bad language will not change the software any faster. If you read my reply again you would see this is not true, and the post is hidden not deleted. It is still visible to us and contains no more useful information than the first time your reported this. It was hidden because there is no point re-reporting in a beta forum anything that affects the release version as well. The same few people read all the posts and it simply wastes everyone's time to read the same thing a number of times. Very few posts are hidden as most people here follow the guidelines (including those on bad language)

Importantly only issues that are specific to the beta version need to be reported in the beta forums. That is how we organise things round here, so normally your beta forum report would have been moved to the bugs forum. However in this case you already had one in the bugs forum covering the same thing, so the duplicate was hidden. If everyone who has reported a problem posted in every beta thread "you still have not fixed my report" then the threads would be impossible to find any new information, so please do not do that 

That's not me who hid valuable bug report without proper notification via PM. There is a reason for me to ask questions and use bad language. And your chronology of my posts is wrong. And you post off-topic here. Warning! Please stick to discussion topic which is "Why EMF export is not working correctly in Affinity Designer since day 1 and nobody fixes it?"

Black lives matter,

mumbojumbo