You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Empty layer

I'm on my first project using 1.9.0.10 beta of AD and am running into an issue.  I don't know if the issue is a problem with my file or if the version has a bug.  I've seen it several times each day, but I can't repeat it on demand. I figure if no one else is seeing it, then my drawing must be slightly corrupted and there isn't a problem with this version.  Otherwise...

What I am finding is that a layer suddenly is not able to show a fill color (probably the stroke too, but I'm not using many).  It looks like the visibility has been turned off, but it's not and the thumbnail is blank.  The visibility control has no effect.  Most often it seems to happen when I do a cmd + shift + V to paste style from a copied layer into another.  I can redo the paste style, but there is no effect.

I just had it happen again and all I did was cmd + g (group) 2 layers, the top layer suddenly went blank. 751339051_ScreenShot2020-12-04at1_52_06PM.png.8ecbd9e5c7d7a590c1587cf2a58f6841.png

I can change colors in the layer, no effect.  Change visibility, no effect.  Once this happens to the layer it is hopeless, nothing has been able to bring it back to life.  If I take the invisible layer and do a cmd + c (copy) cmd + v (paste) the copy comes back being visible with the contents showing exactly what was supposed to be in the layer.598209692_ScreenShot2020-12-04at1_53_19PM.png.586a3a0e6c0d79df0338282bf3808792.png Then I can delete the bad layer and continue.  I'm getting good at working around the problem.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  If so have you found any idea what is causing it?

Mike

10 minutes later: It just did it again.  898831374_ScreenShot2020-12-04at2_09_55PM.png.c6f33adf4fc61ef9db73ee2d5a5b9131.png I moved the unnamed layer from above the Top bun (bum) to under it and the content was gone.  Copy paste 867451610_ScreenShot2020-12-04at2_11_45PM.png.7b1c672310dcbbb236615e3f00df4765.png and the layer is good.  I tried pasting the bad layer in a new canvas and of course it worked fine.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Howdy Sean, I'll share it.  Just remember that sometimes I could work for an hour with no problem then the next hour have 5 problems with this.  I am now doing some work on a file I started before 1.9.0.10 and not seeing a problem.  I guess I should start another in 1.9.0.10...

Big Boy1.afdesign

Mike

On 12/7/2020 at 8:00 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for that! I'll have a poke around with the file and see if I can reproduce it!

Sean, FYI I started a new drawing and in the beta today and have not seen this problem.  It might have been a problem with just that file.

I'm having a similar issue which is probably related. If I create an object, let's say a square with a stroke, and I copy it and then do like @Gear maker and paste that style onto a different object, it pastes the fill but not the stroke. Oddly, if I select the new object that I just pasted the copied style to and then hold the Option (or Alt) and drag the object to copy it, the new copy has the stroke appearing. Sorry if what I'm trying to explain isn't clear. I made movie of it to better show the issue. 

11 minutes ago, Hokusai said:

I'm having a similar issue which is probably related. If I create an object, let's say a square with a stroke, and I copy it and then do like @Gear maker and paste that style onto a different object, it pastes the fill but not the stroke. Oddly, if I select the new object that I just pasted the copied style to and then hold the Option (or Alt) and drag the object to copy it, the new copy has the stroke appearing. Sorry if what I'm trying to explain isn't clear. I made movie of it to better show the issue. 

Hokusai, your issue is different, but does look related as it does for stroke what mine was doing for both stroke and fill.  As expected I was able to reproduce your issue in the beta but not in MAS.  Thanks maybe this will point to the problem.

• Staff
On 12/10/2020 at 4:45 PM, Hokusai said:

Hokusai,
This is something we're aware of and is with development to be fixed! I will pass your comments on.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, Gear maker said:

Sean, FYI I started a new drawing and in the beta today and have not seen this problem.  It might have been a problem with just that file.

Hopefully it was just an isolated issue, as try as I might, I was unable to reproduce the issue you were getting with your file.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@Hokusai - I have managed to reproduce and fix the issue you clearly show - thank you!

@Gear maker - I can't find a good reason for the behaviour you've experienced, but I think it's not unreasonable to assume that something was amiss at some point during the early betas and is hopefully resolved now. Please do let me know if you see anything further though :)

5 hours ago, MattP said:

so hopefully the next beta might tempt you back

Thank you Matt, I'll give the next version a try.  The most frustrating issue is where the keystrokes are ignored when the layer panel has focus.  If you can find that one out you'll definitely win me back.  Thanks again.  Mike

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.