You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't really know how to use the right words to describe what's happening, but I'll do my best. I'm not very knowledgeable about all the specific terminology or anything... 😞

I've used Designer for a year or two now, rarely any problems (and most I have, I can figure out myself) and I've somewhat recently gotten Photo and Publisher. 
I'm working on a small charity project and I'm having a LOT of trouble, which hasn't happened before. 

The leftmost is the original, still in Photo. The right is the first export. The color became a little more dull. I wasn't sure why, as I haven't really had this issue before, so I switched to designer to try to see if I could export it there. Turns out, that was a HUGE mistake. The colors went pastel, and I can't revert it back to the original without redoing the entire thing.

I usually only do digital art in Designer and I've never had this problem, so I have no clue what went wrong or how to fix it. 

I just want the original colors back without having to redo all the masks (I was lazy and didn't separately crop each image...) and I'm now scared this will happen to anything else I use with any of the 3 programs, so I can't open any other files until I get this figured out. I did restart my machine, but it still happened after too. Every time I open the file, or transfer between the programs, it gets worse.

I have the most recent updates for all three, and I'm running OS Catalina 10.15.6, if that makes any difference.

Screen_Shot_2020-12-04_at_12_33.49_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-12-04_at_12_46.33_AM.png

Edited by ReaABT
added mac tag

in Affinity Photo what shows as the colour profile and format? see image for example and menu access.

The image shows some of the menu items greyed out but this is because I have the profile convert window active.
image.png.3cffa4aed194500a75fc6b1f0295f9df.png

The next question is what export settings are you using from Affinity Photo?

Re Affinity Designer, the likelihood is the file is defaulting to the CMYK colour profile which will dull colours compared to RGB profiles. CMYK is generally considered the colour format used for printing. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

in Affinity Photo what shows as the colour profile and format? see image for example and menu access.

The image shows some of the menu items greyed out but this is because I have the profile convert window active.
image.png.3cffa4aed194500a75fc6b1f0295f9df.png

The next question is what export settings are you using from Affinity Photo?

Re Affinity Designer, the likelihood is the file is defaulting to the CMYK colour profile which will dull colours compared to RGB profiles. CMYK is generally considered the colour format used for printing. 

It's set to sRGB and RGB/32. I don't mess with any of that.

I was exporting to JPEG, whole document, best quality, using the document color profile.... but it also did it when transferring the file between programs just using the affinity file and not an export.

This is how it looks just looking at the file without opening it in finder VS how it looks when I open it using Photo or Designer. I've opened it several times, the preview still looks okay but the file always opens with the pastel colors even after a computer restart. 

Screen_Shot_2020-12-04_at_2_29.56_AM.png

Would need the .afdesign file really to test our end, see if we get the same result.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Would need the .afdesign file really to test our end, see if we get the same result.

This is the second file this happened to, the first one was just a worse design overall and I was hoping it was an accident rather than an actual problem. It wouldn't upload here (upload kept failing) so I uploaded it to google drive instead, hope that's okay

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vvgiuTBms5w24a0DHzHCny0X1JOWG9ai/view?usp=sharing

I’ve tried pretty everything I can think of. There is a slight glitch in so much as, when you change the colour format to RGB 8 for a brief moment as it changes it flickers to reveal the saturated colours then goes back to the bleached colours

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I’ve tried pretty everything I can think of. There is a slight glitch in so much as, when you change the colour format to RGB 8 for a brief moment as it changes it flickers to reveal the saturated colours then goes back to the bleached colours

Is there anything I can do to get it back to the normal colors?

This is the second document this has happened in and I'm scared to open any other ones in case I ruin those too

The only way I could get colours close to what they should be was to add a levels adjustment and a brightness/contrast adjustment. The Right image is pre preview so when you click an image and hit space, the left side image is in Affinity Photo and has the adjustment layers added.

Colour_change.thumb.png.41eff9fb882b17982cd954ebff3ba78f.png

You could probably do it all with levels, or a curve adjustment to make it a simple one shot fix that could be applied to all images that display this problem.

This is an example with a single curves adjustment layer to make it simple.
image.png.0f0b29b9f3a49311536d8cfeb4119180.png

10 hours ago, ReaABT said:

This is the second document this has happened in and I'm scared to open any other ones in case I ruin those too

To avoid this, duplicate them, then open the copy.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

18 hours ago, PaulEC said:

To avoid this, duplicate them, then open the copy.

Yes, but I'd like to actually work on things and not have my work messed up again. I do a lot of digital art and stuff and I'd rather not have something go wrong like this again :/ 

3 hours ago, ReaABT said:

Yes, but I'd like to actually work on things and not have my work messed up again. I do a lot of digital art and stuff and I'd rather not have something go wrong like this again :/ 

I do realise that. I was just pointing out that, if you are worried about "ruining" an original file, it would make sense to work on copies until you solve the problem. (Come to that, it's always a good idea to keep original files and work on copies, just in case anything goes wrong!) 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad