You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer beta 1.9.0.864 on Windows 10 much slower than previous version

I found newest beta much slower than previous. Working, still possible is very painfull and needs lot of patience. I didn't change anything lately, except instaling new beta, file isn't very complicated, computer was restarted. Working  with last beta on same setup was flawless. There in no difference between rendering on GPU or WARP.
Sadly I cannot give say more, but maybe I'm not the only one.

If you have this problem, try to disable in Preferences/Performance/Hardware Acceleration, works for me!

I have found the Designer beta very slow this week.

Perhaps it is something to do with my current project, which uses a large number of symbols.

I have no other machine to compare with, and I can't load the beta project back into 1.8, so can't say with any certainty why the poor performance is happening. But there have been many occasions where simply typing a letter into a text frame takes 5 seconds or so to update the screen.

I did look in Task Manager and Designer was only using 16% of my CPU, and there was memory to spare.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Just worked in the same file switching to WARP and found the performance significantly better than using my GFX 1660 as the renderer.

Something seems very wrong!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Just to add that I'm also using a 1080 (non-Ti) with the 457.30 Game Ready drivers and not seeing any kind of behaviour like this. 

5 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Just worked in the same file switching to WARP and found the performance significantly better than using my GFX 1660 as the renderer.

Something seems very wrong!

Would you mind sharing that file at all? Do you get this behaviour from a new document, or less complex existing one?

I can send my file to you,  but in private message.It's nothing special, I think.
And after few more hours working with WARP i  agree it i sbetter than with GPU. not as fast as  GPU + previous beta, but I can work on it. 
I will now once again turn on GPU to check.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, AdamRatai said:

I can send my file to you,  but in private message.It's nothing special, I think.
And after few more hours working with WARP i  agree it i better than with GPU. not as fast as  GPU+ previous beta, but I can work on it. 
I will now once again turn on GPU to check.

Is your bad performance limited to this file, or does it affect new documents? If it is the latter then it won't be something in the file causing it.

New document (2048x2048 with 30 object and some effects) works fine.
I just COPIED via clipbboard all object from broken file to new one.It didn't copied my artboards, but new one is responsive, old  is still broken, so it is something with a document.
Cannot make more test today because I'm in the middle od deadline, but happily give your file in monday. For now I will work with WARP. New file is useless for me, because it lost artboards and slices (so maybe it is too much object at once on screen, or slices).

Thank you for your response.

11 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, but disabling the feature isn't really a fix

Why not? Serif disabled it for all Windows 8.1 users?

Wasn't that a fix?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.