You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour palette in Publisher

Hi folks. This is my first post as I have only been using Publisher for just over a week now. Having been a Quark Xpress user since its beginning I found the changeover relatively easy and I have to say that I am loving most of what you guys and girls in Nottingham are doing. It's great! My only gripe so far (and it is a really big gripe!) is the colour palette. It's absolutely awful! So complicated and long winded. I can't import colours, creating new colours and naming them seems impossible and just colouring new box backgrounds takes several clicks and manoeuvres. Surely this can be improved. Quark's colour management is much, much easier to use and much more user friendly. Do you have any plans to improve it???

Welcome to the forums @Guy Moultrie

It sounds like you could be doing things in ways that are more complicated than they need to be.
Would you be able to explain what it is that you want to do in more detail?
In the meantime, have you looked at the ‘hamburger menu’ in the Swatches Panel or tried right-clicking a colour in the same panel? (See attached images.)

Screenshot 2020-12-04 094054.png

Screenshot 2020-12-04 094118.png

Thanks for the heads up Garry. That all makes sense I think. Just a couple of questions. The list of colours in my document appear under the heading 'greys', whereas they are clearly not. When I click on 'colours' as the heading they all appear as HSL rather than CMYK. Who uses HSL?? Also I am on a Mac so no right or left click, we use control click. Having to do this is not particularly user friendly but now I know, it does make things easier.

Thanks again for your help Garry, I will persist, as I love everything else about Publisher and would recommend it to any Quark user (no matter how old!) if you are getting fed up with the way that you are being treated by the big Q!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

off topic "discussion" hidden (by me)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon