You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Prevent "V" shortcut to select layer by that name

When I have a layer selected and press "v" (move tool) while the move tool is already selected affinity photo jumps to a layer which starts with the name "v". I really don't want that. Is there a way to turn off layer selection by (first character of the layer) name?

• Staff

Hi ZufDraw,
I remember someone reporting this before once, but i was never able to replicate it (and still don't). Any chance you can detail the steps you take from the point you create a new document (or record a clip of the whole app windows if you prefer)? What OS are you running and where did you bought the application - from us (Affinity Store), or from the Mac or Windows App Stores? Thank you.

Ok sorry I forgot to mention I'm working in the Beta. 1.9.0.206 to be exact. I really need to be able to save my workspaces so that's why I chose to do my professional work in the beta, assuming I can always export as psd and re import in a stable version if needed. 

It does not occur in 1.8. To reproduce, It's simple. Just create a new file and create e.g. 3 layers. Name 2 of them and leave one blank. Then type any of the characters  that the layers begin with (twice often if it's a shortcut) and it will select the layer.

In this example I select the lower layer and then press "b" twice and "v" twice. You can see it switches tools first and then selects the layer. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8mk329bdchnoe4/Affinity Shortcut Bug.mov?dl=0

Mac OSX Mojave 

Macbook pro 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @ZufDraw,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I'm still have trouble reproducing this on my system. Can you check a few things for me please? Go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Tools section - do you have Use shift modifier to cycle tools checked or unchecked? Are you running any third party menu utilities that may interfere with shortcuts? If you create a new user account temporarily on your Mac, are you able to reproduce the same behaviour in that account? Thanks.

Hi thanks for your reply,

shift to cycle is on - it does not occur when this is off!

no third party utility installed

issue remains with a new user

make sure you use beta 206 it does not occur in 1.8
it is related to the tool selection, because it does not happen with shortcuts unrelated to tools, e.g. "d" 

it only happens when the layers panel is floating!

And it does not happen when you first click next to the floating layers window causing it (And all layers) to be deselected. If I click on the floating layers window the ap window becomes deselected (resize cirkels top left are greyed out) meaning the layers window is selected. Now it still does not happen until you select a layer.

so in steps :

shift to cycle is on

layers window is floating

create several layers that start with tool shortcut characters (e.g. v, b, e)

deselect all items (click on the grey background with the selection tool)

select the floating layers window

select any layer

now type a character that corresponds to another layers’ first character but also a tool shortcut.  After the second time it will select a layer. It actually toggles through all layers with that character when you press the character repeatedly

I hope this enables you to reproduce this

On 12/3/2020 at 7:03 AM, MEB said:

Hi ZufDraw,
I remember someone reporting this before once, but i was never able to replicate it (and still don't). Any chance you can detail the steps you take from the point you create a new document (or record a clip of the whole app windows if you prefer)? What OS are you running and where did you bought the application - from us (Affinity Store), or from the Mac or Windows App Stores? Thank you.

I was the one to report it before.  The only cure was to turn off Use shift modifier to cycle tools, but I was one of the big requestors of having the biggest pushers for having Use shift modifier to cycle tools added.  So I try to watch my names assigned to layers to not use the most common starting letters A, I, V, & G.  I'd rather have Use shift modifier to cycle tools than to watch layer names.  I believe another cure is to shut off Separate mode.  But I don't feel that is an option.

Unfortunately there are relatively few people using Separate mode, and Light UI, so issues that only concern those modes don't get a high priority.  Which I can understand because the staff at Serif have limited resources.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

On 12/19/2020 at 4:08 PM, Gear maker said:

So I try to watch my names assigned to layers to not use the most common starting letters A, I, V, & G

Thanks for replying, I missed your original post since I had not found it was related to the cycle tool initially. Preventing the layer named is hard, because i work with hundreds of layers and the chance I accidentally start with any of those characters is quite big. I really hope this gets squashed.

Sorry for the double post, but realised the original thread there I put this in is 'archived'?

This is AP in normal (not separated) mode. Shift to cycle tools enabled. This shows the bug with a keyboard on screen and clicks recorded. Only happens with floating layers panel as you can see. Notice the clicks and keyboard clicks. It happens after you click on the 'empty' layer (even if it's already selected). If you dock the layers panel and undock it,  the bug does not immediately occur until you click the (empty, or any other) layer (not layer panel but the layer). And it only occurs at the moment where you would rotate the tool (if shift to rotate was disabled), so with your second click.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex1cowp8630rifz/Shift cyle tools bug.mov?dl=0