You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding the gradient colour selection dialog boxes. I have two artboards of the same poster side by side, one is my CMYK version and the other is RGB. I'm switching between them and trying to ensure that each one has the correct colours set. How ever, when I edit one, say RGB, then go to the other CMYK one the dialog box isn't switching to CMYK, so I tell it I want these colours to be CMYK. Then back over to RGB artboard and select the same item, but now the dialog box is saying each step is CMYK.

I'm confused to say the least. Isn't it meant to show me the colour of the step selected and not the last colour used? Put two boxes next to each other, fill one with RGB and the second with CMYK (can be a solid or gradient), now go back to the first box and it's suddenly a CMYK. I'm losing the battle here (and my sanity slightly). Is it that a single document can't have CMYK's and RGB's?

Thanks for any direction on this as I'm trying to get things out for clients and this is making my already late project later.

20 minutes ago, BofG said:

In the colour panel, just to the left of where you set it to cmyk/RGB for the sliders, there is a small padlock icon.

Unfortunately, this is not mentioned in the Help - https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/clrPanel.html

image.png.d11a3a9f1c68093fe13b7977786a7ad8.png

And interestingly, it's different in every Help - which is a little confusing.

image.png.b02288b473b0f3ad4c7413c71db71ad3.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Only the Sliders view (Colour panel's menu) has the dropdown with the colour modes, The Wheel view doesn't have them.

Yes, I understand that.
I mentioned this because the Help of each application describes the Colour Panel in a different way - see the mentioned Sliders vs Wheel, which I find strange (I would expect that due to the same function and appearance in all applications, their description will be the same).

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Is it that a single document can't have CMYK's and RGB's?

Yes, that is true, too. The entire document is either CMYK or RGB. Individual artboards can't be in a different color space.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, BofG said:

In the colour panel, just to the left of where you set it to cmyk/RGB for the sliders, there is a small padlock icon. Click that to turn it off, and then the panel will switch automatically to whatever format the selected object was last set using.

That's it! Great, my mind is a little more settled in this. ;)  You are a winner! haha!

I almost feel like the default should be unlocked, but just knowing it's there helps loads. Now I can get this switching right and I know I'm not messing up the different layouts.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Yes, I understand that.
 mentioned this because the Help of each application describes the Colour Panel in a different way - see the mentioned Sliders vs Wheel, which I find strange (I would expect that due to the same function and appearance in all applications, their description will be the same).

Thanks for bringing it up. I will be honest, I didn't look into the help but did review the FAQ and a few tutorials which didn't mention this.

15 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

That's it! Great

Well, actually it's probably not..... I didn't read your first post correctly, I thought you was switching between documents. If you have both artboards in one document then they are both using the same colour profile. If you really need two different colour spaces then you need two different documents. A better approach might be using a single sRGB document with just one version of the poster and then soft proof layer for your CMYK profile which you can toggle to see how it will look. You can then apply the appropriate profile on output.

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that is true, too. The entire document is either CMYK or RGB. Individual artboards can't be in a different color space.

25 minutes ago, BofG said:

Well, actually it's probably not..... I didn't read your first post correctly, I thought you was switching between documents. If you have both artboards in one document then they are both using the same colour profile. If you really need two different colour spaces then you need two different documents. A better approach might be using a single sRGB document with just one version of the poster and then soft proof layer for your CMYK profile which you can toggle to see how it will look. You can then apply the appropriate profile on output.

I'm seeing what you both mean, but I don't specifically need real time visual checks on colour as I'm working on a preset colour pallet. I just need both in so that as changes come in, it is clearer that I've done it on both. The control for client will be on the PDF export. As long as the document saves all the mixed colour data (these in RGB and these in CMYK) it's all good. 😁

1 minute ago, JeffreyK said:

As long as the document saves all the mixed colour data (these in RGB and these in CMYK) it's all good.

But it won't.

If your document is RGB, then both Artboards are RGB. If it's CMYK they're both CMYK. All you're doing in the Color panel is controlling how you express the colors that the objects have, or that you want them to have. Or how Designer expresses those colors numerically for you to see. But both Artboards are still actually RGB or both are actually CMYK.

You can only see how they really look in the other color space  if you use separate documents (one per Artboard) or you use a Softproof Adjustment Layer as BofG suggested. And you can only save the data properly if you use separate documents, or Export separate files from the one document with a color conversion to the proper color format/space.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

or Export separate files from the one document with a color conversion to the proper color format/space.

... Export Persona in ADesigner/APhoto allows you to create several types/methods of exports for one object (one slice), ie it allows you to create several files in different formats (JPEG/PNG/PDF/TIFF), in different color format (RGB/CMYK/LAB), color spaces (sRGB/AdobeRGB), image resolutions, ... in one click.