You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recently Used Brushes - 3 Requests

3 things that would save me a lot of time would be:

1. A "recently used brushes" panel.

2. When I select a brush and then adjust its size, the brush I'm using is no longer highlighted in the brushes panel. Sometimes I forget which brush I'm using, so keeping the brush highlighted would be very helpful.

3. Organization options in the brushes panel.  When duplicating a brush, I would love to have all of the duplicates located directly below the original brush but slightly indented.

I have the same issue. When I'm trying out a number of different brushes to find the one I'm going to use, I have to go through the pain of moving the brushes to a separate category, then drag the one I'm testing to the top of the list, paint, then open Rename Category to get the name of the brush (which should be displayed but isn't), rename my group where I used the brush so I know which one gave what kind of effect, and then start over again so in the end I can compare them and remember which brush did what. Really annoying.

4. Tag favorite brushes would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, tristengrant said:

A recently used brush section or a "favourites" where you can mark a bush and add it to this section.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I like the idea of a "favorites" section. You can do it yourself, because the application allows you to create your own brush categories, and it also allows you to make copies of brushes and move them into different categories.

But it would be easier to simply click a star icon or in some other way mark a brush as a favorite and have all that occur in one step, rather than requiring several actions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It would also be really useful if the last brush you used remained highlighted until you choose another one.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this topic to help raise interest for an improvement on brush selection/identification.

I recently brought the Neptune brush pack from the store. Lovely brushes, do recommend them. But as I kept experimenting with different ones for my drawings, I always end up forgetting which brush I used last. Worse, I forgot the name of the brush I was currently using on the drawing because I changed its width. Meaning I had to try all of them again to find back the one I liked.

For starters, it would be nice to have an option to have the name of each brush displayed on the list instead of having to hover the cursor to see its name.

Second, have the current brush in use properly identified in the context toolbar. If it was edited, it should be identified as "Watercolor Brush [Edited]" for example.

And I very much like the idea of a list of recently used brushes. That would be extremely helpful versus having to scroll all the way through a library of 100+ brushes often divided in several categories. Right now the alternative is to create a custom category and duplicate the brushes I use more often. If I remember what they're called.

Another option might be to have the history panel include the name of the brush you just used like they do in Clip Studio Paint. 

And yes, please keep the brush you're currently using highlighted even when  you switch sizes or do any of the other random things that seem to make the highlight disappear. Although weirdly it DOES keep it highlighted with vector brushes. Only raster brushes seem to have the problem with de-selection.

• 3 weeks later...