You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Designer (on a mac), usually when I export a selection with or without background, the png file will have cropped the image to the size of the selection... but on a few images the png file brings along a lot of blank space around the image, which is annoying.  What am I doing wrong and how can I solve the issue?

Best,

Elliot

• Staff

Hi @Elliot Levy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This usually happens when there are some Layer effects applied to the selection or some objects contained within the selection (which may extend beyond the selection boundaries) or some sort of layer construct with clipping/masking or some other feature that may lead to the unexpected result - in this case it's a bug we must look into. Can you attach a sample file(s) for us to inspect? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the files private, just let me know.

9 minutes ago, Elliot Levy said:

Also, how can I undo a brush to a line I have done many actions earlier, without undoing the progress to my image?

Totally different topic... but, if it is a Vector 'line' you can just select the 'line' (curve) and either delete it or apply a different brush to it. If it is a pixel 'line' then you'll need to zoom in and erase it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:45 PM, Old Bruce said:

Totally different topic... but, if it is a Vector 'line' you can just select the 'line' (curve) and either delete it or apply a different brush to it. If it is a pixel 'line' then you'll need to zoom in and erase it.

Thank you very much for your answer... if I understood correctly, there is no neutral brush, right?

On 12/3/2020 at 5:01 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Elliot Levy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This usually happens when there are some Layer effects applied to the selection or some objects contained within the selection (which may extend beyond the selection boundaries) or some sort of layer construct with clipping/masking or some other feature that may lead to the unexpected result - in this case it's a bug we must look into. Can you attach a sample file(s) for us to inspect? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the files private, just let me know.

Could you please provide an upload link?

7 hours ago, Elliot Levy said:

Thank you very much for your answer... if I understood correctly, there is no neutral brush, right?

You can apply a stroke with zero width, you'll have your curve and it will be invisible.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Elliot Levy
Thank you for the file. This is now fixed in the latest Affinity Designer Customer Beta 1.9.0.10 which you can download from here in case you are willing to give it a try. The fix will be included in the next retail update.

In the Beta, you may notice there's still a small difference between the value indicated for the selection in the Transform Panel and the exported file: this is because the text objects and the three ellipsis objects that compose the dog part on your file have their stroke's alignment set to Centre (in the Stroke panel) and the outer half of these strokes don't count for the selection (only the parts inside the blue bounding box of the selection count). If you set the their stroke alignment to inside for example then the export size will match the selection dimensions.

See the attached image below for a clearer example I've drawn a circle with 150 px (diameter) and applied a 40 px stroke (aligned to center). As you can see in the Export dialog the exported size is 190px for both for width and height the additional 40 px for each dimension comes from the outer half parts of the stroke that fall outside the blue selection box. This is by design.

stroke.jpg