You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Geometry options can't be accessed

Hello,

I am trying to use Layer --> Geometry --> Subtract to break apart the various images in a jpeg I purchased.  My goal is to edit the text section with my own text.  First of all, is it correct to approach this task using the geometry approach I've described?  Second, if so, the Geometry window options are all grayed out and can't be accessed.  I've tried switching to Photo and the same thing, Geometry is greyed out.  I've tried selecting all, deselecting, and no luck.  Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.43.55 PM.png

Ribbon Cutting.jpeg

Hi Michael Z,

This Geometry Tool is not the right tool for what you want.  To explain why, this tool is used for combining, dividing etc vector based shapes or graphics.  You are trying to do this to a JPG which is a raster based graphic.  That is why this tool has all of it's functions greyed out.  Also, this tool will not pull apart graphical vector based content as vector based content will already be in multiple parts. This tool is used for creating new shapes from multiple shapes.

A raster image, in your case, will need to be edited in a pixel pusher software, such as Affinity Photo or Photoshop etc.   The biggest problem you have with your image is that it contains a gradient underneath it all, so your best option would be to cut out the ribbon, scissors etc and create this as a separate graphic and then produce an underlying gradient separately and then you can add your text without any issues.  This is time consuming of course as is most raster editing.  The other option you could use is a smart tool to remove the text and hope it produces a seamless gradient background.

The best option of all is to not purchase JPG (raster type) images such as this.  You really need the vector graphic version as you would be able to pull in and out all the different components.

I hope this helps.

The quickest way to cut out the ribbon and scissors is to use the selection tool. However, if it were me I would use the pen tool it's way more accurate.

728397220_RibbonCutting.jpeg.5e3c5aea761094618c0b530967bcaeaf.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• 4 months later...