You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo restoration

Lovemonkey

I've been working on restoring a photo of wife's late Nan.

I think I haven't done to bad a job with the photo, considering its size and how bad it's damage plus I'm an absolute noob at this.

I think I've reached the point where I can't really do anymore. Wish I could make her face a bit clearer. 

The photo is from round the mid to late 40's.

DSC_0729.thumb.JPG.f6c9fa06cd964fda4f0a5b7d53c35960.JPG1657452991_nannyAnnBW1.thumb.jpg.3325155036ef3d416d789f4aab7677be.jpg

Start with converting to black and white by using the adjustment layer "Black and white". In that adjustment layer, adjust the red and yellow slider (because of the "sepia" type aging of the photo) until you get the level of black and white contrast you want. Then you'll see better how to repair the photo. If you just try to restore an old B&W photo without converting to B&W in Affinity, you'll make a lot more work than you need. Besides, if you like the sepia color, you can put it back when you're done.

Best practice for me is to use the patch tool on a pixel layer above the image you're repairing. Under "source" choose "current layer and below," That way, if a choice doesn't work, it is an easy fix.

That's your best starting point, other than making sure you have a good high resolution scan of the image.

This is the original photo

maid.jpg

maid_buscard_4.jpg

12 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Start with converting to black and white by using the adjustment layer "Black and white". In that adjustment layer, adjust the red and yellow slider (because of the "sepia" type aging of the photo) until you get the level of black and white contrast you want. Then you'll see better how to repair the photo. If you just try to restore an old B&W photo without converting to B&W in Affinity, you'll make a lot more work than you need. Besides, if you like the sepia color, you can put it back when you're done.

Best practice for me is to use the patch tool on a pixel layer above the image you're repairing. Under "source" choose "current layer and below," That way, if a choice doesn't work, it is an easy fix.

That's your best starting point, other than making sure you have a good high resolution scan of the image.

This is the original photo

maid.jpg

maid_buscard_4.jpg

Thank you, converting to B&W helped a lot more, the photo prints out really nice at 6x4.

B&Wnannyannept2.jpg

What resolution did you use for your scan? If you have an original scan at high dpi (600 dpi or higher) I think your results will improve. Some older scanners default to as little as 72 dpi, and even the newer ones like to keep it to 200 / 300 dpi as default.

1. Get as many pixels as you can.

2. Before any effort to correct / repair the image, make your conversion to black and white, not after correcting.