You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The flood fill tool is incredibly slow when set to "layers beneath" or "Current layer and below" when something is not closed. I often make sketches and fill with the flood fill tool. Sometimes the sketch is not closed, so the whole image is filled. But this takes up to a MINUTE or sometimes more to fill!! In photoshop this works instant. I work in decent sized images (5000 x 7000) with up to hundred layer or more. Still, photoshop fills instant with a file with over 300 layers. It's been like that since 1.6 (1.9 here). 

• Staff

Hi Zufdraw,

If possible could you provide a copy of the file in question and a screen recording of this issue so I can see whats happening? Which of our apps is it you are using?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi callum, sorry for a late reply. I’m talking about AP. Mac version. Does your question mean this is not a known issue? I‘ve had this for a while. I’m sorry but I cannot share the actual client file so I will look into recreating something similar.

Ok it was pretty easy to reproduce:

create a new file A2 size 300dpi (anything north of 100pi is slow)

create about 10 pixel layers (edit: no need for many layers 2 is fine)

select the top layer

select fill tool with source set to "layers beneath"
set to contiguous
tolerance 20%

click on the layer op layer to fill

I had to wait 1minute 20 seconds

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pqacghi90nulax/Flood fill slow.mov?dl=0

this example is not a real life situation (with all empty layers) but the same happens with any shape that is not closed

Edit: It’s even unrelated to how many layers you have. It’s just as slow with just two. The pixel dimension and area to be filled (hence if it is closed and therefore less pixels) do make a difference

• 4 weeks later...