You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toolbar buttons positively shifted on y axis when switching personas in Separated Mode [AP/AD/APub, MAS/Betas, Big Sur]

JGD

Hi guys. As I said on my last bug report, I've been putting Separated Mode through its paces, and have been founding a few bugs.

So here's the other one I'm reporting today: whenever I switch, in Separated Mode, from a Persona to another, the entire contents of the toolbar shift upwards, as shown in the following screenshot:

1388490942_Capturadeecr2020-12-02s14_00_35.thumb.png.a105a3edad59c60535acfbac45f44ff4.png

After the first switch, the toolbar buttons will be shifted upwards on all Personas until I toggle Separated Mode off and on again, or quit the offending app and relaunch, but the bug will always manifests itself on the first switch afterwards.

This bug is relatively recent, affects the entire suite (once again, I decided to pick the AP forum as it's the app I'm likeliest to use in such a way that I'll run into it) in both stable and beta releases and is, I believe, Big Sur-specific, as I can reproduce it both on my Retina 5K iMac and 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS 11.0.1 but can't do so in my only Catalina machine, a 2010 MacBook.

It is, as far as I could ascertain, strictly cosmetic, but seeing how it's present in both MAS and beta releases, it kind lends some credence to my theory that not many people at Serif use it at all, and not many professionals do so either on account of its overall suckiness. I'm sorry that I didn't catch this earlier on the Big Sur betas, but guys, it's an entire interface mode that not only is broken by design, but now also looks the part and crashes all apps in the suite for good measure.

• Staff

Hey JGD,

Thank you—I have been trying to reproduce this after a few reports but didn't try switching Personas for some reason... I've got it now so I can log it!

QA (which is a small team) primarily use the betas and the developers are busy developing. The other support staff and majority of Serif employees will use the retail. I'm not sure how many people use the beta but I bet the percentage of people like yourself who take time and effort to report bugs isn't anywhere as big of a number as those who install it and never speak to us.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, Chris B said:

Hey JGD,

Thank you—I have been trying to reproduce this after a few reports but didn't try switching Personas for some reason... I've got it now so I can log it!

QA (which is a small team) primarily use the betas and the developers are busy developing. The other support staff and majority of Serif employees will use the retail. I'm not sure how many people use the beta but I bet the percentage of people like yourself who take time and effort to report bugs isn't anywhere as big of a number as those who install it and never speak to us.

Hi Chris,

You're welcome. As always, I'm more than happy to help you out as I can.

Regarding this lack of feedback, if I may suggest a feature for the betas (or even the stable releases) which might encourage users to report bugs, perhaps you could make use of the newly introduced Serif account login functionality and offer users a dialog box from which new bug report posts could be posted directly to the forum?

You know, kind of like those prominent feedback buttons Microsoft uses in Office apps. You can't really miss those, and perhaps a bug report button right next the account login could also do the trick for Affinity apps.

On 12/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, Chris B said:

I'll feed this back—nice idea!

Cool!

Also, if you really want to go the extra mile, maybe you can add a subscription feature for getting thread updates via e-mail, à la Github, with direct links to the relevant pages (or maybe the option is already here and I'm just missing it? Either way, it should also be prominent and easy to toggle).

Being the tinkerer that I am, I've been messing with macOS patching lately so I could shoehorn Big Sur onto my 2012 MBP (it's been running it like a champ since 11.0.1 and even better now with the 11.1 update, which was a pain to install but is totally worth it), and the help I've been getting from fellow users but especially getting those updates delivered right into my inbox, with said direct links, has been absolutely invaluable. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update: the bug is still not fixed in the latest 1.9.2 betas.

This time, the shift is negative instead of positive, and slightly less dramatic, which doesn't make the toolbar look as ugly and broken as before when switching personas for the first time after launch or mode switching, but it's still noticeable.