You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes, latest installer crashes too. Win10

hwknd

Affinity Photo won't launch (launches, briefly shows in Task  Manager. then quietly dies).

I figured I'd try to update and see if the latest version works, but the installer does the same thing. Briefly launches, then dies without any error messages.

I do not have any of the listed conflicting software installed, I disabled my antivirus. That didn't work.
The Uninstaller does work fine (meaning I uninstalled and can't check which version I had installed. New installer won't run after uninstall either).

Affinity Designer has the same issue and won't launch either. Installed version for that is 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10 x64

All other software on my PC (that I've tried so far) opens perfectly fine.

6c225bb1-655f-4d28-a8bb-dff32b7f52c9.dmp

Edited by hwknd
Attached dump file

• Staff

Hey hwknd,

Make sure you aren't installing both apps into the same folder as this can cause issues. Also make sure any Windows updates have completed and you've restarted the machine.

Also make sure you're trying to install and run the current versions
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/

I did not change default install locations and both apps ran fine before this - I haven't changed anything.

With the installer, I can't even get to the screen where I can choose the install location.

Windows is fully updated and rebooted. The installer I'm trying is one I downloaded an hour or so ago, Affinity Photo affinity-photo-1.8.5.exe

• Staff

Have you tried fully gutting the apps and doing a fresh install? I know it sounds like a pain and you shouldn't have to do it but it's worth a shot. Could you also please try and install the beta and see if you run into the same issue:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/128418-affinity-photo-windows-customer-beta-190864/

Just try the Photo one for now. I'm not suggesting you use and run the beta but if we get the same issue, it might direct us more toward a Windows/software conflict as opposed to an existing installation issue.

If "Windows is fully updated" then possibly it's the issue of the latest Windows updates changing the default display profile to a virtual one?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1