You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen to selection > invert with artboards (designer > photo)

fyi I've worked on this initially with designer but after realizing that designer pen tool doesn't allow path to selection for some reason... I had to switch to Photo and do that there. 

So I've set the shape with pen tool > convert to selection > invert and somehow the selection overextends to the outside boundaries of artboard1, effectively cutting off my selection ... I'm not sure what is going on here but attached are the screenshots to what I was trying to do. Is this an issue with Photo not recognizing the artboards when using invert?  

1.png

2.png

3.png

I have reported problems in the past when working with artboard-based documents in Photo, where pixel layers didn't have the sizes I expected. That may be what's happening with your file, too, but it's impossible for me to be sure of the artboard arrangement and sizes given just screenshots such as you've provided. I would need your actual file to do any meaningful analysis.

I tried a simple test and did not get your results, but my file was probably not similar enough to yours. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

good to know it's not just me then, there is a background layer hidden here too but I've tried removing it and then re-selecting+invert but the results remain the same. That blue rectangle made me curious why it appears that way, I remember initially sketching to the right of artboard1 and then resizing + moving it to the left.. maybe Photo recognizes it somehow , but still.. any selection shouldn't extend out of the artboard. 

Maybe I should hold off or put the artboards below my main workspace next time 'til this issue gets fixed, I've only discovered artboards recently I thought it was a cool feature but it's only introducing problems for my sketches 

elaine2.afdesign

Thanks for the sample. I think that is the same problem I reported before, where Photo can become confused about pixel layers in a document that contains artboards. It's partly that they should be restricted to the artboard in which they're created. But it seems to be more than that, too, as the inverting the selection did not pick up all of the pixel layer in Artboard1.

Artboards can be very useful in Designer, but have several issues related to this in Photo that have not been resolved yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Artboards can be very useful in Designer, but have several issues related to this in Photo that have not been resolved yet.

The problem is not limited to Photo. The same incorrect inverted selection happens when making and inverting the selection in Designer.

The selection can be made by switching to Pixel Persona and then cmd+clicking on the thumbnail of the unnamed Curve object after swapping its stroke and fill colours so that it has an opaque fill.
The selection can be inverted in Pixel Persona by shift+cmd+i.

Substitute ctrl for cmd if using Windows.

Edit: there will be no problem with the selection and inversion if they are performed when the relevant Artboard's origin is at the origin of the document. In other words, if Artboard1 in the example is the furthest left and furthest up Artboard in the document, then the selection and inversion will be made correctly.

Edited by anon2
found workaround