You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

perspective grid?

Like this idea.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

• Staff

Yes - all in the plan for later.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben,

You mean… a full-blown, customizable, perspective plane editor? In which you can paste objects and perform edits à la Ai? *That* is in the pipeline? If so, those are huge news!

As much as it pains me to say it (ha! Really, I pretty much have to hate on Adobe, but sometimes I can't bring myself up to do it fully), I actually appreciate that feature (it is, after all, something novel and original in a vector editor) and already used it in two professional jobs. And since it's new in CS6 and still a bit rough around the edges (haven't tried it in CC, and probably never will), it shouldn't be too difficult for you to improve upon it in a meaningful, decisive manner.   :)

If I may add a suggestion upfront: have the object lock-in to the perspective plane be much more persistent. In Ai, It is all too easy to unattach them just by dragging (either with modifiers or the direct selection tool, if my memory serves me right), which is a PITA. Also: if you could have a way to have multiple parallel planes (and even duplicate objects across/along them), so as to be able to simulate extrusions, that would be killer. I had to do those manually in Ai, and though the end result was cool, it was more of a chore than anything. Anyway, if and when that feature arrives in the pipeline (maybe on a future beta, if you're planning on doing more of these later?), I'll be sure to give you a heads-up on that and show you some screenshots/samples of my work so you can better see what I'm talking about.

And, once again, kudos for your ambitious pipeline!

• Staff

JGDS - No, I was talking about guides and vanishing points coupled with custom axis, for doing isometric construction, etc.  Something along these lines is in the plan.

The possibility full blown 3D planar editor is something that I can't comment on.  That's a question for the Top-Cat.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB