You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with shaping tools

Has anyone else had problems with the add & subtract when it comes to joining and trimming into objects? I'm wondering if anyone knows why this happens as it's not an issue with other software packages

I've used Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator for years and have always used the Weld and Trim (Add & Subtract in Affinity Designer) for shaping vector objects. Affinity Designer however, seems to work okay for a couple of simple cuts or joins but becomes unstable when trying more complex operations. For example, to take a word and create a one-piece object as opposed to separate letters. Overlapping the letters (converted to curves) and then trying to weld (Add) them together tends to remove some of the counter shapes (eg, the hole in the 'p' etc). The counter shapes are still in place but not showing and have to be Divided to free them up. In short, getting from figure1 to figure 5 would normally be a simple select & click without the extra steps in between.

I've tried to illustrate the problem, hope it makes sense.

Fig 1.png

Fig 2.png

Fig 3.png

Fig 4.png

Fig 5.png

• Staff

Hi @Brian W,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are aware of a few issues with boolean operations. Please try this approach instead:
1. write the word you need and adjust the kerning as required
2. press Add (boolean operation) in the main toolbar
Alternatively for step 2 go to menu Layer > Expand Curves.

If the text are already converted to curves:
- position the letters as you wish (overlapping)
- select all letters
- press and hold ALT and click the ADD button (boolean operation to create a compound (non-destructive boolean operation)
- with the compound layer selected, go to menu Layer > Expand Curves

Hi MEB,

Thanks for responding. I've tried your recommendation and it works really well. I do tend to customise text by converting to curves and manipulating the letters, so I'll still face the problem in some form. Also I noticed a related issue. when I adjusted the kerning of a word and used 'divide', it left me with the first letter. the other letters had disappeared.

I've attached a couple of screenshots.

Fig 1.png

Fig 2.png

• Staff

Yes, in that case you have to expand the text to curves, ungroup and hit divide - plus a few more boolean operations to subtract the hole's shapes from the letters depending on what you want to do. There's definitely improvements to make regarding boolean operations. We have a few issues logged already. Thank you for your feedback.