You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any hope that there will someday be a global option to always export a TIFF file with the 3 character .tif extension.

I don't mind changing the extension from .tiff to .tif on each and every export, but when Affinity is trying to export something it thinks should be labeled as a .tiff it can not see, or display, any of the .tif files that exist in the folder. The inability to see the other .tif file names makes it less than convenient to save an iteration of a file with a unique name, because the previously used names are not readily apparent.

Thank you.

Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 on Win 7 x64

7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Does some other software require ".tif" file extension?

There have been numerous discussions about this, Mark. Here are just two recent posts on the subject:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Are you on Windows or macOS? Does some other software require ".tif" file extension?

Hi @Mark Ingram

I should have included the info: Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 on Win 7 x64

If the Affinity Export dialog was able to display both .tif as well as .tiff files then manually editing the extension would seem easier because I could see the names of all the other iterations I have stored in that file.

For example;

I have a directory filled with iterations of a design. The files are named Design_01A.tif, Design_01B.tif, Design 01C.tif, Design 02A.tif, Design 03A.tif, Design 03B.tif, etc.

When I go to export another TIFF file and the directory window opens, it looks empty because all my files are named with the 3 character .tif extension rather than the 4 character .tiff extension that Affinity is looking for. I have to recall the actual contents of the directory and toss my export in there without the benefit of seeing what the other .tif files are named.

AFFINITY.jpg.f6fb67da27f0082139c83f75d4d86f2e.jpg

Here is an example of how another program works in Windows:

Design_From_AFFINITY.jpg.837918e1eff9c331703cb9dc22551264.jpg

When I choose to "Save As" a TIFF file I can select the extension convention I wish, but more importantly the application recognizes that both .tif and .tiff file extensions are TIFF files so I may see them all.

FWIW, When I saved the .jpg screen shot I have uploaded here, I was presented with the opportunity to view JPEGs labeled as .jpeg, .jpg, and .jpe

It would be helpful if I could set a preference in Affinity products to let me consider the 3 character .tif choice without being forced to work around the constraint.

Thank you.

Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 on Win 7 x64

I agree that it would be nice if Affinity showed both .tif and .tiff.

In the meantime, as you're on Windows, you can also make use of Windows built-in search capabilities. For example, when you go to Export, and get that File Explorer dialog with Design_04A.tiff filled into the file name box, you can change it to Design_0* and you'll see everything that starts with that string. Or you could use Design_0*.tif? to specifically see .tif and .tiff files that start with that. Or *.tif? to see all the .tif/.tiff files. Or, to avoid changing the file name field, you can use the Search box on the upper-right of the dialog.

But it would be nice if it would simply work, rather than requiring the workaround.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome. :)

By the way, when you want to "tag" someone using the @-notation, you first type the @ and then start typing their username. You'll get a popup box showing matching names. Click on the one you want, and it will be inserted as a highlighted field. For example, compare how @Otto Manuel looks vs @Otto Manuel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...