You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What makes letters stand out against a variety of backgrounds?

I'm looking for a single font I can use for text against a variety of backgrounds to maximize readability.  

Am I right to think that white text with a black outline is probably best?

I saw the example below recently and thought it might fit the bill. Looks like they're using white font face, black outline, and a drop shadow. Are there any other elements that make text like this stand out? What font do you think might be displayed below, or something roughly similar in readability?

663556013_ScreenShot2020-12-01at9_30_45AM.png.a21f8f2ce256ef5eff2ca7aae9a13f99.png

I would go with that.

You more than likely will find edge cases where it won't work, deal with it then.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, AntiqueFlaneur said:

I saw the example below recently and thought it might fit the bill. Looks like they're using white font face, black outline, and a drop shadow. Are there any other elements that make text like this stand out? What font do you think might be displayed below, or something roughly similar in readability?

The example you posted doesn’t look as though it has a black outline, and you probably don’t need one unless there are large areas of white in the background that could make the lettering indistinct. The font seems to be ITC Roswell Std Three or a closely related commercial font, but unless you’re happy to shell out a large amount of money you might want to consider something less expensive (perhaps even free*).

284C9F2D-23BB-41D8-B692-DD4857100B06.jpeg

*Take a look at Steelfish, for example, or League Gothic.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The example you posted doesn’t look as though it has a black outline, and you probably don’t need one unless there are large areas of white in the background that could make the lettering indistinct. The font seems to be ITC Roswell Std Three or a closely related commercial font, but unless you’re happy to shell out a large amount of money you might want to consider something less expensive (perhaps even free*).

284C9F2D-23BB-41D8-B692-DD4857100B06.jpeg

*Take a look at Steelfish, for example, or League Gothic.

Thanks!