You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Brush properties change back to original properties on re-selection

I'm a recent convert to Affinity but I seem to have a problem with Affinity Designer on Windows.

Assuming I have a new document and the first watercolour brush is set to a width of 100px, size variance 81%, opacity variance 100%.

• Select the first water colour brush and select the Vector Brush tool. (Context menu bar shows 100px width).
  • Change the width in the context menu bar to 10 px.
  • Paint a line (which appears at 10px wide, as expected).
  • Type 'A' to select the node tool. The nodes in the curve are selected and the context bar correctly shows 10px: 

2041407141_Wrongproperties1.png.399d4afd09fc12f947fc66560a99393e.png

• Click on the brush preview to the right of the fill and stroke to get the brush properties
  • Click the properties button
  • The brush properties dialog opens (called Brush - Document Defaults) with a brush width of 100px, size and opacity variance of 0% so it doesn't match either the selected stroke OR the document defaults!992242240_Wrongproperties2.thumb.png.251ae342f6adf5407134dea41aff990e.png
  • Start to change the Size Variance slider and the line in the document immediately jumps back to 100 px wide.

1002026414_Wrongproperties3.thumb.png.e48dfc00c5919e6274979568615a90f0.png

So how do you change the properties (e.g size variance) of a brush stroke after drawing it without setting the other properties it back to other values?

I assume that double clicking on the brush in the brush palette is supposed to edit the document defaults for that brush and that selecting the properties via the context menu bar should edit the properties for the selected brush stroke(s)??

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks. 

Edited by Magicbean
Forgot to add tags

• Staff

Hi MagicBean,

I was able to follow your steps up until:
"Start to change the Size Variance slider and the line in the document immediately jumps back to 100 px wide."
Which I was unfortunately unable to replicate if possible could you tell me the version number of the app and provide a screen recording showing this behaviour?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi MagicBean,

I was able to follow your steps up until:
"Start to change the Size Variance slider and the line in the document immediately jumps back to 100 px wide."
Which I was unfortunately unable to replicate if possible could you tell me the version number of the app and provide a screen recording showing this behaviour?

Thanks

Callum

Here you go @Callum

This happens in v1.8.5.703 and the new 1.9.0.864 Beta on Windows 10 Pro. (At least - I have not tried it on any other versions)

Edited by Magicbean
Forgot to add version info.