You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer/Photo brush extension

I haven't seen this anywhere for Designer/Photo, and I apologize in advance if somebody has asked this and it's been answered.  I have latest version of all Affinity progs.

Is the brush extension - .afbrushes - used in Designer applicable to Photo also?  What about Styles palettes?

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).  Appreciate your help.

Nikki

As you have all three applications then you can use the fact that the different files (.afdesign, .afphoto and .afpub) are in fact the same file forma. So just use the tools in Photo on a Designer file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @bubbalicious,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can go to menu File > Edit in Designer/Publisher/Photo (depending on the app you're in) to send the document directly to the other apps of the suite. In Publisher you can also use the Designer and Photo Personas to access most of the main features of Photo and Designer directly inside he Publisher app (through the StudioLink feature).

6 hours ago, bubbalicious said:

Is the brush extension - .afbrushes - used in Designer applicable to Photo also? 

That's a bit of a tricky question.

A .afbrushes file can contain raster brushes or vector brushes. Vector brushes are usable only in Designer Persona of Designer or Publisher. Raster brushes are usable in Photo, or the Photo Persona of Publisher, or the Pixel Persona of Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, MEB and Walt, for your expanding explanations on my question.  Having used Adobe's products for many years, and it's what my school used for my graphic design degree courses, once Adobe's gratis use of their programs while I was in school ended (gee, whod'a'thunk?), I looked for alternatives to their subscription insanity and went with Affinity products (but got Gimp, Inkscape, and Scribus, just in case) and have not looked back.  What I love about Affinity is being able to get to the other personas from within the program I'm in, instead of having to have several programs open at once.  And I'm sure y'all realize that Affinity products are *always* at the top of the list as great alternatives for graphic designers and photographers (I'm both).

At any rate, the brushes extension question didn't occur to me, for some reason, until now.  Thank you both!

Nikki