You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Expand stroke wasn't specifically developed to create offsets or contours (although it can be used for that in certain cases).

There's tools specifically created for outlines/offsets that are far more versatile (although Affinity Designer doesn't have one yet.

You can use expand stroke as a general tool to solve all type of problems or as a creative tool. From converting a vector brush stroke into an editable shape for further editing, to create special effects with text where you want to use the strokes of the letters as a base for new shapes to be used as reflections, shadows or pseudo 3D effects or even to create complex shapes where it's more easy to start with a line (a spiral for example). 

It has no specific purpose (other than it's literal meaning), it's just a mean to get something else.

• 5 months later...

...to create special effects with text where you want to use the strokes of the letters as a base for new shapes to be used as reflections,shadows or pseudo 3D effects or even to create complex shapes where it's more easy to start with a line (a spiral for example). 

Hello, I am using the Trial version to see if I like the functionality of Affinity Design. One of the first things I tried to do was type our a letter, give it a stroke of a different color, then "Expand Stroke"...

But every time I do this, the "expanded" stroke is different in shape from the original stroke; the shape changed, and does not line up with the outer edges of the original letter anymore...

help!

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2015 at 12:54 AM, MEB said:

We are aware of the issues you mention with the Expand Stroke command.

Those problems will be fixed as soon as we have some time to look at them.

Three years passed and there's no significant improvement regarding this matter. Just saying.

Please do something with this.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design