You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I set all lines at 0.175 using the pen or pencil. Some are very thin, probably less than 0.1, while others are close to 0.2. I've checked all settings, like decimal points, etc. All settings match but the printed copy has both thin and thick lines. I don't know which will be thin or thick until I print the figure. I've asked the community. They've helped me wiith other things but thiis one remains unsolved. JamieL

X-sec D-D' final BT flting, 11-29-20.afdesign

2 hours ago, JamieL said:

I set all lines at 0.175 using the pen or pencil. Some are very thin, probably less than 0.1, while others are close to 0.2. I've checked all settings, like decimal points, etc. All settings match but the printed copy has both thin and thick lines. I don't know which will be thin or thick until I print the figure. I've asked the community. They've helped me wiith other things but thiis one remains unsolved. JamieL

JamieL, I printed it out on my printer and am not seeing a difference.  Except the lines near the 1000m on the upper half.  There are two lines very close together causing a wide line when printing.  Just doing some quick checking I found that the base line under Hay, again in the top half is made up of two lines.  They are almost on top of each other, this maybe could cause a wider printed line.  One is labeled HAW top and the other is labeled H bar.  If you turn off the visibility of the H bar does one instance of a thicker line go away?  The HAW top is locked so it can't be easily selected.  

In fact in E scale > V scale > V bar is actually a closed path with a spacing between the two lines that are 0.175 pt wide causing a wider line.

The E scale > V scale > 1000m is actually a short line offset from the Hay top.  Which would cause a wider line.

In the E rock units if I turn off the visibility of the E boarder I don't see anything disappear, so I would guess there again is one line on top of another.  These are one on top of the other, but if the printer tried to print it twice, maybe.

So that is a sampling of things I see that could cause your problem.  One way to do this would be to double click each layer's thumbnail to view it enlarged then shut off the visibility for that layer.  If something still remains of that line, then there is a possible problem.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to look for double lines.

One problem that I have and don't understand is the change in line width with a change in the settings. The first copy of my document has the bottom line on the upper diagram (under the letter 'F'') with a width set at 0.1799999. It prints as a fine line. The second copy of the document has the same line with a width setting of 0.18. It prints with a width of about 0.19. Why would such a small change create such a difference in the result? How do I get an intermediate width?

I have several sets of curved lines with barbed arrows next to them. I took out one of the arrows in one set for clarity and set the thickness for both arrows at 0.18. However, when printed, the arrow heads were much thicker than the shafts. I couldn't find any other barbs that coincided with them so it appeared that there was only one line, not two superimposed. Next, I double clicked on the thumbnail for one barb (please see the first screenshot) and then turned off the layer and was left with the blue path of the barb. But if I delete the path I've deleted the object and the path of the arrow shaft appears. I'm back to problems with line width again!

Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

JamieL

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

X-sec D-D' final BT flting, 0.0179999 12-1-20.afdesign X-sec D-D' final BT flting, 0.18 12-1-20.afdesign

I couldn't actually find what you are on about but I did notice that most if not all your text has a stroke applied to it.

Then there is this thing from your second screenshot, there is a layer's visibility unchecked.

1965760860_ScreenShot2020-12-01at3_44_43PM.png.ea29d2a6dfd49b95d2f1b616e7e2a3c7.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, JamieL said:

One problem that I have and don't understand is the change in line width with a change in the settings. The first copy of my document has the bottom line on the upper diagram (under the letter 'F'') with a width set at 0.1799999. It prints as a fine line. The second copy of the document has the same line with a width setting of 0.18. It prints with a width of about 0.19. Why would such a small change create such a difference in the result? How do I get an intermediate width?

As I commented that with my cheap printer I'm not seeing an issue on most of these lines.  So...  I can't think of any reason why the F line would jump in width for such an insignificant change in set width.

Did you know that the line above SO is actually a dashed line with extremely small dashes?  I could see this having some effect of the way the line prints.  It's the only dashed line I see in the document.

I don't see a problem with the barbs.  Sorry I have no help on this to offer.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I couldn't actually find what you are on about but I did notice that most if not all your text has a stroke applied to it.

Then there is this thing from your second screenshot, there is a layer's visibility unchecked.

1965760860_ScreenShot2020-12-01at3_44_43PM.png.ea29d2a6dfd49b95d2f1b616e7e2a3c7.png

I've had a problem with some lines printing with a larger width than other lines, even though the settings are the same. Some of them were two lines superimposed on each other. Gear Maker suggested double clicking on the thumbnail, and turning off the visibility of the layer and then seeing if something is left. The screenshot you have attached is the result of doing that. Of course, if I delete the blue path, I've deleted the object. So I'm back to the problems of why some lines are so wide and why a small change from a width of 0.17999 to 0.18 can cause a large jump in printed width. Any ideas?

On 12/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, Gear maker said:

As I commented that with my cheap printer I'm not seeing an issue on most of these lines.  So...  I can't think of any reason why the F line would jump in width for such an insignificant change in set width.

Did you know that the line above SO is actually a dashed line with extremely small dashes?  I could see this having some effect of the way the line prints.  It's the only dashed line I see in the document.

I don't see a problem with the barbs.  Sorry I have no help on this to offer.

OK. I found the problem. I changed the lines and the rulers to mm. Then I enlarged the lines so that I could measure them to 1/1000 mm. Then I could see that there is no problem with the program. The problem is with my laser printer. It can't detect some changes in width. I'll have to call Brother and ssee what they can offer.

Yes - there were some other dashed lines. I'm checking for them as I go.

Thanks,

JamieL