You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.864

Hi!

50% of the time, using the Ctrl-Alt shortcuts to change the brush size/hardness change the position of the mouse pointer randomly at the first click.

After that changing the size/hardness by moving the mouse position is an hard task.

-> It's super smooth und intuitive in PS CS6. Painful in Affinity.

Please fix:

-> No mouse cursor jump when Ctrl+Alt+Click

-> smooth change of the settings.

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

19 minutes ago, nicoppc said:

Hi!

50% of the time, using the Ctrl-Alt shortcuts to change the brush size/hardness change the position of the mouse pointer randomly at the first click.

After that changing the size/hardness by moving the mouse position is an hard task.

-> It's super smooth und intuitive in PS CS6. Painful in Affinity.

Please fix:

-> No mouse cursor jump when Ctrl+Alt+Click

-> smooth change of the settings.

I'd say holding the right mouse button and then clicking the left to change the brush would be best

you even could paint on so when "unclicking" the (edit:) right mouse btn and still holding the  left one, adding the right one again to change modify again a.s.o.

or/and painting with left and while painting hold and click right one to change the brush again ...

s.

Hi!

Something is wrong with the Windows version...  I got running both latest beta on Mac and Windows. my machines are:

- MBP 2012, i7, 16 Gb RAM, integarted GPU

- Razer Blade 15 2020, i7-10875H, RTX 2080 Super Q, 64 Gb RAM

Now, on Mac Affinity is a lot of faster as on PC. Despite the hardware of the PC being at least 10 times faster.. Example of stuff being faster: Inpainting, saving, responsivness..

Anyone experiencing the same behaviour ?

Regards

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

AP beta 1.9.0.864 Focus Merge in combination with HW acceleration (Nvidia 1080) still crashes the display, even another tab which was open in AP got corrupted by lots of artefacts.

Used preprocessed TIF, not RAW

image.png.40adc3064d72708ed4f31f915b6a4af0.png.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff
34 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

AP beta 1.9.0.864 Focus Merge in combination with HW acceleration (Nvidia 1080) still crashes the display, even another tab which was open in AP got corrupted by lots of artefacts.

Used preprocessed TIF, not RAW.

I reported this officially with your files this morning :) 

On 12/1/2020 at 5:44 AM, sb101 said:

I'd say holding the right mouse button and then clicking the left to change the brush would be best

That is horrible idea for a simple reason - on stylus (at least the one from Intuos) you cant push two buttons at once. And who is even digital painting with mouse? :/

I love Affinity Photo to bits, but it is the least stylus friendly software of the one I used for digital painting (stable version, havent tried this beta yet, not sure if there were any changes). I would love to draw illustrations directly in Photo, but this crazy "two mouse button at once plus two keyboard buttons" combo to change size is a deal breaker.
There has to be a way to EASILY change size of a brush (not gradually, in steps on keyboard) and pick color WITH STYLUS. You dont have to reinvent the wheel. Just copy some artist friendly solution from existing software. It looks to me that you have in team just photo editors - ask for opinion some friendly neighborhood digital painter ;)  Personally I like the way Krita deals with it - you press SHIFT and then drag on canvas to change the size of a brush. Brilliant, simple, one button solution. Push CTRL for color picker, you let it go and its back to brush - boom, done. Friendly, easy to deal with. Not some convoluted "press ctrl+alt+lmb+rmb to change size - literally impossible to perform on some styluses :D. I am surprised there no third mouse button involved too - just sit on your mouse and push all available buttons at once :D;)

Jokes aside - please take a look at it. Because as it stands now we have perfectly capable software for digital painting that is being hold back for virtually no reason by bad choice of shortcuts.

you press SHIFT
Oh no SHIFT is already taken for straight lines (and thats important, much more than quick brush size change). Default "[" and "]" still do the job, no need to steal SHIFT for this :)
But this left+rights clicks stuff indeed hard to learn and use. 

22 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

you press SHIFT
Oh no SHIFT is already taken for straight lines (and thats important, much more than quick brush size change). Default "[" and "]" still do the job, no need to steal SHIFT for this :)
But this left+rights clicks stuff indeed hard to learn and use. 

Oh yeah - true, Krita has separate tool for straight lines. But its just an example - it can be any given key+drag on canvas. Make it ALT then. Or customize - point is its one button + drag on canvas.
Or like in Paintstorm Studio - ALT for color picker, ALT+CTRL to change brush size. Same in Corel Painter - ALT+CTRL. Or like in Photoshop (blah! :P ) alt+rmb. Anything but the "press two mouse buttons at once". When it comes to digital painting think about stylus solution, not mouse.
left + right click is not hard to use. On some styluses is basically IMPOSSIBLE to use, since two buttons on stylus are like a seesaw. either one or other is pushed. You cant do both.

Bug:

Do the following:

1. Open a pictures without layers. As an example, just a raw.

2. Apply a Live Layer -> Distorction -> Lens distortion.

3. Apply some distortion correction. As an example -5.%. It worked great for my lens

4. Select the Impating Brush Tool

5. Zoom in und remove something.

-> You will notice that the brush is applied at the WRONG place.

Regards

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Bravo! Finally, live liquify!

I've tried using it, found that the default opacity option is 25% and I felt a bit weird. Maybe 50% is better as a default value?

And by the way, this feature reminds me of that "WHY NOT we make the develop persona a live filter too?"🤓 Thus the workflow will be more flexible and user gets less flips between personas. Just like the camera raw smart filter in Photoshop.

• Staff
19 hours ago, nicoppc said:

Bug:

Do the following:

1. Open a pictures without layers. As an example, just a raw.

2. Apply a Live Layer -> Distorction -> Lens distortion.

3. Apply some distortion correction. As an example -5.%. It worked great for my lens

4. Select the Impating Brush Tool

5. Zoom in und remove something.

-> You will notice that the brush is applied at the WRONG place.

Regards

I think this is because whenever you do a mesh warp/perspective warp etc. the tools will try and apply themselves on the original pixel coordinates. As this is a live filter, we'd need to rasterise first. 

23 hours ago, Cynops said:

1.9.0.864 Pixel tool Brushes error。1.8.5Normal。。

Pixel tool.afbrushes 2.02 kB · 3 downloads

Your .afbrushes file imports into Photo 1.9.0.864 properly for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Cynops said:

Imported correctly, but not available.

None of them work for me (after they are imported) in Photo 1.8.5.

The bottom 2 brushes in the category work for me in Photo beta 1.9.0.864.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1