You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Freezes Constantly

Publisher is great. Started Freezing often. I lost much time in-between my frequent CTRL+S for frequent file saves/restart/freeze cycles.

Found many other people posting about freeze and crash items. Noticed several that mentioned connections to fonts. Too many fonts installed, freeze during font selection, etc. ) 

So I looked for a font I had recently installed and was sprinkled throughout my text.  PWSERIFSCRATCH.  I removed this font from my text. And still crashes/freeze continued....Ooops, missed two spots. Once all instances of this font were removed from the text box I was working on that spread through 10 pages, the freezing stopped. All is good now. I still reflexively hit CTRL+S every few seconds, but so far it has been working fine.

Some thoughts....On a good day, Publisher uses 2GB of memory. Not even Chrome uses this much memory. When it crashes, it seems to be over 2.6GB of memory. Perhaps the font control is working overtime and runs up the memory until my Win10 Microsoft Surface i7-7660 2.5GHz with 8.00GB Memory. 

Can Publisher be engineered to use less memory?   

• Staff

I'm curious if you have a better experience using the current beta which is found here.

Can Publisher be engineered to use less memory?   

It will always depend on the document you are using, but we are aware of high memory usage in certain cases

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com