You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I turn my Mandala Painting into vector, most efficiently?

Dear all,

If anyone could help with getting my mandala into high quality vektor would be great!

I do have a designer education 15 years ago, so i understand the basics. Still, i am stuck. Do I really have to use the vector tool and "paint" all the lines in my mandala? I did that for the outline, but i hope for most of the details there will be an easier option. Can anyone tell me, how you would do?

I only have an old Ibookpro with a ordinary pc mouse, which functions not perfectly. I am even thinking about buying a touchpad, in order to be easier with creating vektors or to create the next mandala directly digital. What would you recommend?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Marlen

mandala_feuerblumen_frei_klein_weich.jpg

My goto apps are Intaglio Vectorize (FREE) and Image Vectorizer, although I think both are Mac only - the benefits of Vectorize is the ability to reduce the amount of nodes and once copy pasted into Affinity, you get a unified vector - with Image Vectorizer (small fee from MAS) there's lots of options for halftone screens and whatnot but once copy pasted into Affinity you'll need to group in order to colour up the result.

Heres a quick vector recreation of your mandela from Vectorize put together as two layers, a solid black layer and a 70% black layer which used the minimum slider in Vectorize to isolate the grey

Mandella_vector.afpub

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

There are many third party bitmap-to-vector tracing tools available (see a short overview list here) which can be used for such purposes. Just save the autotrace then in SVG/PDF vector format and load the result into Affinity.

mandala.jpg.dd7123421965dea9da1a8af6f9cf9668.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 11/30/2020 at 8:27 AM, Fixx said:

You might want to see https://affinityspotlight.com/article/artist-loch-ness-colourful-surreal-and-out-there/

The work has some similarity. Especially the video part is enlightening.

Dear Fixx,

thank you for the link to this beautiful artwork. Its relaxing to see how this artist "repaints" (vecotrize per hand) his art. Maybe thats the best way to do, because you can really choose which parts belong together and color it more easily. Thank for sharing. :)

On 11/30/2020 at 9:25 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

My goto apps are Intaglio Vectorize (FREE) and Image Vectorizer, although I think both are Mac only - the benefits of Vectorize is the ability to reduce the amount of nodes and once copy pasted into Affinity, you get a unified vector - with Image Vectorizer (small fee from MAS) there's lots of options for halftone screens and whatnot but once copy pasted into Affinity you'll need to group in order to colour up the result.

Heres a quick vector recreation of your mandela from Vectorize put together as two layers, a solid black layer and a 70% black layer which used the minimum slider in Vectorize to isolate the grey

Mandella_vector.afpub 2.69 MB · 1 download

Dear Dazomondo77,

thanks a lot for my art in vectors. I really like it. I will try how i can work with the different layers.

I also got Intaglio Vectorise and I will take some time to figgure out, how to use it properly. English is not my first language, so i will have to check the meaning of the available options there.

Thanks a lot for you help!

3 minutes ago, various.an.mar said:

Dear Dazomondo77,

thanks a lot for my art in vectors. I really like it. I will try how i can work with the different layers.

I also got Intaglio Vectorise and I will take some time to figgure out, how to use it properly. English is not my first language, so i will have to check the meaning of the available options there.

Thanks a lot for you help!

Well I realized that I mixed the documents. the one you send me has only two layers. May you tell me which options you use to "get the shapes so much together". My results so far are always with too many details. Thank you! :)

On 11/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, v_kyr said:

There are many third party bitmap-to-vector tracing tools available (see a short overview list here) which can be used for such purposes. Just save the autotrace then in SVG/PDF vector format and load the result into Affinity.

Dear v_kyr,

thanks a lot for your document and the list to the other posts. looks like i am not the only one to wonder about vecorizing ;)

I will see how to use theese different layers in the document and see how i can fill shapes with color.

Thanks again for the support :)

On 12/2/2020 at 10:28 PM, various.an.mar said:

Sorry various.an.mar - I originally tried to respond to this yesterday morning (3rd Dec) and just made quick screen grab to illustrate the settings - but just can't get it to upload - tried about 5 times then gave up I just get:  "! -200"  every time  (just tried again now)  I'll see if I can try again later 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Another try

Original post blurb:- The only thing is with Intaglio Vectorize is it's best to have a very large page in affinity to paste into and work on (I either go for A1 or A2)

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, v_kyr said:

Dear Dazmondo77,

Wow!!! Thank you soooo much! This is amazing, how you are helping me!!! It is so good to have this video and to see how you are doing everything!

Thanks for taking the time and even try with different technical obstacles !

I'm so happy and very, very grateful :)))

I will try to re-do it asap.

My best wishes to you.

Marlen